Simple Mega Fuse mount for 3G install

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Simple Mega Fuse mount for 3G install

IDIBronco
Being a person who likes things to be as simple as possible.  I settled on what I had thought was a pretty clever way to incorporate the Mega Fuse for my 3G install.  Nothing special, and no real parts needed.  Took an extra bolt and trimmed the end of the cable to fit cleanly.  Done and done.

1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Simple Mega Fuse mount for 3G install

Steve83
Banned User
I understand the attractiveness of the simplicity, but it's not safe or durable.  Acid leaking around the battery posts will attack the fuse, reducing its capacity.  And in a rollover or collision, the hood can contact the exposed bolts.  That's the purpose of the red rubber cover, which won't fit now, and doesn't cover the fuse anyway.  It would be MUCH safer & better to stack the fuse onto the starter relay terminal, and have it hanging off there.  I can't find a pic of it, but on Frank's '75 Bronco, I used a common isolated binding post similar to this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PBLHGHN) mounted just behind the relay to support the fuse's other side.  But for a few cents more, this is better: (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PYSUP2)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like the second one, shown below.  But didn't Ford have one that was similar?  I'll have to look at my stash.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
In reply to this post by IDIBronco
This is a temporary solution until I decide exactly how I want to change the wiring in that area of the bronco around.  I think there are some changes in the future.  I have a couple ideas that may work out to keep it simple and clean.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
But didn't Ford have one that was similar?
Yes, but they're brittle as eggshells.  I think I've managed to uninstall a couple of holders intact, but I don't think I've ever been able to R&R a fuse from one without shattering it.