Signs of a bad fuel pump?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Signs of a bad fuel pump?

jstone4646
Edit: let me start by saying my fuel line had a leak and I lost every bit of fuel in my lines and tank which was not a lot, maybe 1/8 of a tank.

Still wrestling the 84, got the timing set, dumped fuel down the throat and got her to show me minor signs of life but she won't fully light off or stay running.  I pulled the main fuel hose into the carb and found it bone dry.  Half a tank of gas in the truck, so that's good.  I separated the fuel line and tried to crank to see if any would come out and nothing.  I loosened the output fitting (did not fully remove) of the pump on the side of the motor and when cranking it is barely dripping.  I know these are low pressure systems but would this be a sure bet on a bad mechanical pump?  And are these rebuildable or just a replacement part?
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Signs of a bad fuel pump?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They aren't rebuildable, so replace it.  But first, I've had situations where a truck that hadn't been started in a long while wouldn't pull gas into the pump.  So I put a little bit of air pressure into the tank's filler and that pushed gas into the pump.  Somehow priming the pump worked.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
If its a "ripped" bladder in the fuel pump, your oil is contaminated with gas....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Do these pumps dual purpose as fuel and oil or is just in the way it mounts up?
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is the way it mounts.  There is a diaphragm that pumps and if it splits then gas goes past it into the oil.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI