classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Should We Expand Our Scope?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Folks - It has been suggested that we expand our scope to include some of the other Ford trucks, like bumps, dents, bricks, etc.  I think the idea is that some of you don't have a Bullnose but still participate, and some have a Bullnose as well as other trucks.

I have friends that some of you know that could benefit from this.  Some of you know Scott, the welder guy, who has a '78 and doesn't seem to want to join other forums.  He and I have a mutual friend, Ben, who is going to build my bumper, and he called this morning wanting to get started on his own '78.  John, my paint/body friend that some of you met, is working on a '72 and really doesn't want to be part of other forums from what I can tell.  Steven, that some of you've met here, has a '93.  Jim and Brandon both have later trucks.  And now we have Dustin, a new member with a '77.  

To do that we would need to think through how best to do it.  I don't know much about the other eras, so wouldn't be all that much help.  And our documentation is specifically for the Bullnose era, although I do have the master parts catalogs for the earlier trucks.

Also, we have friends in Fordification, the bump/dent guys, including the two guys that came to the show with the nice 70's trucks.  They have a wealth of documentation and a nice community, so we don't need to go into competition with them.

One approach would be to have sub-forums for the other genres.  But if they take off I'm going to need help in policing them as well as helping the folks.

What do y'all think?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Should We Expand Our Scope?

PetesPonies
I think if you lumped them all into a section, that would be fine. I wouldn't try and be open to all of them, individually. I own a small Ranger, first year, . . a '69 F100 with a 428/4 speed and a '71 that only has 55K original miles. So many of us have other trucks as well.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I think including older and newer eras would help, not hurt, the group. If there is some interest, I’d say do what we need to do to bring these folks in, even if it is simply a semantic adjustment.

The 80-86 body style year break is fairly arbitrary. The diesel forums go 83-94, the straight six forums cover slick body, bumpsides, dentsides, Bullnose, Bricknose and OBS. Yes, these are engine discussion groups but members discuss other aspects of their trucks all the time, and in my opinion the diversity enriches the conversations and increases the learning.

My ‘86 crew cab will have a ‘94 engine and newer era driveline and many other components. Big Blue will be EFI’d and run a ZF. We have threads going on upgrading to serpentine accessories and better HVAC from newer trucks. We have discussions going on engines, transmissions, axles etc., that apply equally well to older trucks. We already ~are discussing other era Fords on a regular basis...

I get what you are saying that the website documentation is not there for the older and newer models, but I think that’s okay. I actually cannot think of any other forum out there that has an expansive website on tap to draw information from. It is certainly nice to have, but not a prerequisite for people to come and discuss their truck.

One thing I wonder about, is, does it make sense to segregate the other eras into their own sub forums? With just a couple few members in each to start out with, those sub forums might be pretty lonely and overlooked. However, if not separated... if the forum explodes and the traffic becomes too much it will be impossible to “put the toothpaste back in the tube” and archive the discussions into more manageable units. I don’t have an answer, just thinking out loud.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, good thoughts.

We don't really have much control over it as we won't turn people away that want to join.  But it is a question of whether we encourage it and how we handle it, meaning where we put them, so to speak.

I agree with Jonathan that segregating things into various genres will hurt the ones that have very few people participating in that discussion.  So, for now let's keep everything in the main section and we can start new sections as and when we think they are warranted.

And, I can move discussions from section to section if we want.  I can move whole threads, posts and responses thereunto, or just individual posts.  So if we've had a really good thread on some specific engine issue, or a particular era of truck, I can move whatever we want to a new home if we create one.

Thanks, but that then begs the question of what we call things.  The site is Gary's Garagemahal and forum is the Bullnose Enthusiast's Forum, and that moniker covers all discussions in the forum.  It might be possible, and I'll think about it to see, to do it this way - when/if the time comes:

Gary's Garagemahal

Bumpside (1967-72)

Dentside (1973-79)

Bullnose Enthusiast's Forum

etc

Thoughts?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
I think it would be awesome!

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 21:51 Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email] wrote:
Folks - It has been suggested that we expand our scope to include some of the other Ford trucks, like bumps, dents, bricks, etc.  I think the idea is that some of you don't have a Bullnose but still participate, and some have a Bullnose as well as other trucks.

I have friends that some of you know that could benefit from this.  Some of you know Scott, the welder guy, who has a '78 and doesn't seem to want to join other forums.  He and I have a mutual friend, Ben, who is going to build my bumper, and he called this morning wanting to get started on his own '78.  John, my paint/body friend that some of you met, is working on a '72 and really doesn't want to be part of other forums from what I can tell.  Steven, that some of you've met here, has a '93.  Jim and Brandon both have later trucks.  And now we have Dustin, a new member with a '77.  

To do that we would need to think through how best to do it.  I don't know much about the other eras, so wouldn't be all that much help.  And our documentation is specifically for the Bullnose era, although I do have the master parts catalogs for the earlier trucks.

Also, we have friends in Fordification, the bump/dent guys, including the two guys that came to the show with the nice 70's trucks.  They have a wealth of documentation and a nice community, so we don't need to go into competition with them.

One approach would be to have sub-forums for the other genres.  But if they take off I'm going to need help in policing them as well as helping the folks.

What do y'all think?

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Should-We-Expand-Our-Scope-tp17207.html
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I certainly think any discussion that somehow relates to something that can be done to a bullnose should be allowed here (even swapping in earlier/later/GM/Ferrari parts).  But I think that watering down the forum by encouraging a wider scope will increase your work load, and decrease the REMARKABLE focus you've achieved so far on bullnose-specific topics.

My suggestion is: instead of creating actual subforums here for those other topics/ranges/vehicles/eras, just create fake headings for them (as if there was a subforum here) but hyperlink them to the other existing forums that already focus on those topics.  For example: you could add a heading that says "4-door Broncos and Professionally-Customized Trucks", but instead of that link taking the user to a new forum here, it would actually take them to http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/index.php (which may be down right now, but you get the point).  That would be VERY little effort for you now or ever, and it would help direct people to the largest community of similar owners/enthusiasts available.  There can be several links for some of the more-popular topics (like F150s in general), and with some negotiating, you could get some symbiotic relationships going with those sites to direct their antique-owners here.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
If I want to find something about bullnoses, I come here. If I want to find something about my Bronco I go to FTE in the Bronco section. Same with the Suburban, I go to Automotive Forums, or try to find a smaller one.

To me this is very specialized, you are always adding or improving this forum. That's a big workload.

Would I come here if I sold my F250? Probably, because the way this forum is, is hard to find.

Should anybody join, sure.

Special sections for non bullnose, I don't think so.

I would love to get a 70's 4WD pickup, I would use Fordification, and have while I have researched trucks while looking before I bought the bullnose.

As I said before, I found the Garagemahal researching the VIN on my truck.

And, as I said before, it is your website, do as you see fit.

I hope this comes across OK, only my opinion.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
How about a single subforum for all non bullnose for now. That way it allows a space to discuss other models, its a single space so we can all jump over and check in, and should it become too busy it can have sub forums of itself.
You would just include the message that "While this forum is focused on and built around 80-86 ford bullnose, there are many similarities and compatabilities for earlier and later models. While there may be busier forums or forums more focused on YOUR model of ford out there we are more than happy to host you here."
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This is what I suggested. I said lump them all together in one section,. No reason to have them in with Bullnose stuff. Group them together. if it ever gets large enough that separate sections are needed, well deal with that then. But keep them all together now, but away from the Buullnose stuff.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
I hesitate to comment as I’m new and don’t feel I have earned the right to comment on these types of subjects. But I would like to say that I was looking for a place like this one for a long time. It seems like all the other Ford/F150 forums cater to all the late model trucks and are useless for anything older. It would be cool to have a place to discuss other projects that I’m sure we all have working. I also feel that if you opened it up to other trucks it would be nice to at least limit it to “twin I beam” trucks.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I like the focus on bull nose.  There would be some merit in discussing 80 through 96/7 as these trucks share common elements. Seems like we occasionally do that anyways as we discuss EFI and other matters.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I know I have already inserted my opinion, and I don’t want to steamroll those who prefer a strictly Bullnose site... but please consider the following thoughts...

Aside from the merits of scope (large or small), the individuals that Gary named would be valuable assets to this discussion community. A pro welder, a paint/body guy, and a fabricator were mentioned... and they are all wanting to be here because of the members involved, even though there are better sites for their trucks. Forums are on the decline, and knowledgeable, active members are literally the life of the party. I don’t think that making some small adjustments to make these folks feel welcome and “at home” is going to water down the Bullnose focus. It’s not like blowing out the walls of Garagemahal to make room for 50 more years of Fords and hundreds of new members who want to discuss far flung topics. On any given day there are currently maybe a dozen or so active threads? Will off-bodystyle posts really clutter it up that bad? Expanding Garagemahal shop-talk to “Bullnose trucks ...and other fine Fords“  might just bring in the guy who helps you on your project.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I'm with Jonathan.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've done a lot of thinking about it and I've realized that we currently don't have any limits on who joins nor what they post about.  Yes, we call it the Bullnose Enthusiast's Forum, but our guidelines don't say "Don't post anything else."  And we have people posting about other things besides Bullnose trucks - including me with my Super Bee, 1950 Chevy pickup, my boat, and even my trailer - which has a thread of its own.

One of the moderators on a Facebook page I'm on recently said "Don't post anything here but Bullnose", and removed a post of a neat truck from the 70's.  And that saddened me.  I just don't understand the need to limit things that precisely.  So, we can't talk about Jim's '87 F250?  Nor maybe even not Bill's '86 F350 because it has a later interior and front clip?  What do we do with '87 to '96 trucks that have a Bullnose front clip - as discussed in our own thread on Converting 87-96 F trucks to Bullnoses?  They really aren't Bullnose trucks, they just look like they are.  What about Paul's 1980 w/a Cummings?  Or, or, or......

I think we are "here" to have fun, share what we are doing, encourage each other, and get suggestions to help solve problems, design things, etc.  So I'd rather not put limits on what we can "talk" about, but I do want our talk to be healthy, encouraging, and respectful - which it has been.

Last night I talked with Brandon/Bruno2 and he would like to participate regarding his later trucks, and his son Kris has a 90's and might as well.  This morning I talked with some of my friends at church.  Steven Fox has a '93 and would like to participate - and he works at a tire and alignment shop and could be a valuable resource that way.  Scott Ringler, the welding guy, has a '78 and is willing to participate - and would be a resource on welding, like frame repair. And I might get Ben, the other guy with a '78 to participate, and he's the guy that runs a fabrication shop that will make the rear bumper for Big Blue.

So I'm happy to let others come in as and when they want.  Let's help them as best we can, and if there is enough traffic for a specific genre of truck we can hive them off into a separate forum/sub-forum.  But I don't see a need to create documentation for them as we've done for the Bullnose - especially since there are plenty of others who've done that.  So maybe we should partner with the others and point people there for the documentation and answers to questions they can't get here.

I hope that's ok with everyone.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by ScubaSteve
I agree with ScubaSteve.... having a dedicated forum for Bullnoses is something unique on the internet, and that is rare in this day and age.

However, it's your forum Gary and I'm sure that everyone here will help to share the spirit of the community that you have developed.

1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
In reply to this post by BuggTruck
Another thought to add. You can add a subforum for everything nonbullnose related but if people choose to put their thread in the main section instead, its as useful as the "new members" subforum , and you will have a lot of work on your hands shuffling threads around
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

1985 Bronco
Since I own a 76 F150 now, I think it would be awesome if you expanded your scope! I would create one sub forum for now, and possibly expand it in the future.
1976 Ford F150: Regular Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460, C6

1985 Ford Bronco: Sold

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sometimes the intended use for folders isn't as apparent as first thought.  

As for expanding the scope, it has been.  Post away.  Once we see how much "other" traffic there is we can gauge how much segregation we need.  Right now if we set up a sub-form for "other" you might be lonely.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Hi Gary,  I like your idea of Bumpside, Dentside, and Bullnose. You could add Bricknose to that and maybe a section for diesels.  Dan  
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We will see how it goes.  Start small and see what happens.  My friend Scott, who has a '78 F150, hit me up Sunday to show him how to use the forum.  I hope to do that this weekend and then he can get on and get our help.

And, if it grows we can split them off into their own.  But until then we'll keep them here in the main section - or they'll be quite lonely.