Seems like more issues on the horizon.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seems like more issues on the horizon.

Bullnosefan95
So on top of the issue with my U-joints going out, I am starting to have this issue and I can’t figure out if it’s my torque converter going out or my transmission. A little side note, a couple weeks ago a belt shredded off and put a huge gash in my transmission cooler hose from the tranny to the rad. Got it fixed that day after a few hours of dealing with headache, since I filled the tranny with the proper amount of atf, it shifts smoothly now and holds its gears… until today. I was driving out of town and it still shifts smoothly from first to second, but when it hits 35mph to 40mph it can’t decide whether it wants to be in second or third and when I give it a little more pedal sometimes it keeps it from doing that, also sometimes it will do it, and sometimes it won’t. Once I hit 45mph no issue, drives just fine. Can anyone think of the cause for this issue?
1986 F-250 Diesel
7.3 IDI (It was a conversion due to the 6.9 being bad in it originally)
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seems like more issues on the horizon.

ratdude747
Sounds like a vacuum regulator issue... although since you have an IDI, I don't know how they're accomplishing such?

Has it always done this since the 7.3 swap, or is this a new issue?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
It’s a new issue, I have seen a long time ago a person was reproducing aftermarket vrv’s. I believe they still are but I want to check if this one is still good. I know you can adjust it but I need to get a new vacuum tester. Mine was harbor junk.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
If you haven’t, I would double check the tranny fluid level.

And pull the hose off the modulator to see if you have fluid there, shouldn’t be any, when mine went bad it leaked through the modulator.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
That honestly could be the issue. This motor has leaked from day one of owning it. A lot of oil and diesel and atf is all over the engine and engine bay so maybe there is fluid in there but I did check the level this morning and is in a good range.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear