Seat belt question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seat belt question

Dorsai
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm in the process of redoing the interior of my '80 F-150.  It just occurred to me that I haven't given much thought to the seat belt situation, which I hope someone can help me with.

My seat belts, in general, are fine.  However, the plastic sleeves that hold the female ends of the belts up through the seat (I have a bench seat) are completely destroyed in my truck - the were falling off my belts and went out with the trash.  As a family of three we actually use all the seat belts in the truck, so I'd like to have all the sleeves in place such that the belts don't fall down behind the seat every time I lean it forward.

After searching, the most original-like sleeves I've found have been these at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.  They're $20 each, so I've also found these generic equivalents at seatbeltplanet.com.  

I really have two main questions here:

1.  Given the cost of the originals at Jeff's, would the generics work in my truck? The obvious difference between the two is the twist in Jeff's, but I also wonder if that twist is for those trucks with bucket seats, and the generics might actually work better with my bench.  Anyone have experience here?

2.  I'm also wondering about how well these sleeves will fit when two belts are attached to a single attach point.  I'm mostly concerned about the passenger-side inboard attach point; that point has the female end for the outside passenger as well as the female end for the center passenger (which, again, I use frequently).  Each belt gets its own sleeve, so can two sleeves attach at one spot?  Mine were too destroyed to answer this question - it may even be possible that the center passenger belt didn't come with a sleeve, I don't know.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seat belt question

Steve83
Banned User
Dorsai wrote
...I have a bench seat...
...these at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.
...wonder if that twist is for those trucks with bucket seats...
Right.  Although they MIGHT work OK in a bench, they're not what you want.
Dorsai wrote
...these generic equivalents at seatbeltplanet.com.
Those look like they could be made to work, by cutting off the bottom half where the bolt is covered.
Dorsai wrote
I'm also wondering about how well these sleeves will fit when two belts are attached to a single attach point.
The factory sleeves don't reach down to the bolts.

Post pics of your belts.

I'd probably start off making my own, even if they were only temporary.  I'd find a heavy piece of plastic (like a dealership license plate, or a gallon antifreeze or oil jug), cut it into a strip, and fold it into a sheath that could be stapled or glued around the belt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Steve83 wrote
The factory sleeves don't reach down to the bolts.
OK...now things are starting to make sense.  The seat belts on a bench actually come up through holes in the rear edge of the seat, and I was wondering how the sleeves could go to the floor through that narrow hole.  Obviously, they don't.  So I'm guessing that there's maybe 6"-8" of sleeve sitting above that hole, and that's it?

I'll take pictures of my belts later this evening if helpful, but they're just in a pile on my garage floor at the moment.  
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Dorsai wrote
So I'm guessing that there's maybe 6"-8" of sleeve sitting above that hole, and that's it?
I didn't pay much attention on my '95, but that seems about right.  They're piled in the top right of this pic:

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Steve83 wrote
I didn't pay much attention on my '95, but that seems about right.  They're piled in the top right of this pic:

Yep, I'm starting to get the picture, thank you.

Speaking of which, you asked for a picture of mine.  The driver's belt is still in the truck (I didn't want to break the electrical connector trying to disconnect it), but the others are here:

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Great now you gave me something else I need to look into
I cant remember if I installed the belts back in or they are in a storage bin?
I am sure 1 set of belts are in the bin.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
I didn't want to break the electrical connector trying to disconnect it...
I don't remember that connector being fragile, on the dozens I've pulled in JYs.  This & the NEXT several might interest you:

And this:

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
Great now you gave me something else I need to look into
I cant remember if I installed the belts back in or they are in a storage bin?
I am sure 1 set of belts are in the bin.
Dave ----
Well what do you know I installed the belts and it looked like the center belts have the twisted type supports.
The belts are not thru the seat as I think I will need to pull it out again to install the rubber mat or the more classy padding & rug?
If you need pictures I can get a few for you.

In looking at the belts I found where I put the behind the seat storage rack ....... yep behind the seat!
In the parts truck it was velcroed to the rear wall and will need to do the same or it flops all over the place.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Dorsai
<quote author="Dorsai">
Steve83 wrote
Speaking of which, you asked for a picture of mine.  The driver's belt is still in the truck (I didn't want to break the electrical connector trying to disconnect it), but the others are here:
I will have to check my truck (81) on how the seat belt light deal works.
IIRC it only comes on for a few seconds then out.
I don't remember any plugs to the belts or the seat only to the dome light in that back corner but has been a wile since I was messing with any of this.
Dave ----
Dave G.