classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seat Options

Quarterwave
Hi everyone,

I've done a few searches through the forum regarding seats and can't really find what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd put up a new post.

In short, I have a bench seat that is in need of recovering and re-padding.

But, I really like the idea of having a center console, so at some point in the future, it looks like the bench will need to go.

That being said, what are my options for seats?

I was thinking of using some Bronco frames and then bolting some aftermarket seats to those frames (or frame - I'm not sure if the Bronco has a plate set up or not).

After looking online, it seems like aftermarket seats are more cost-effective when compared to getting some old seats and then re-building them.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seat Options

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As explained here (Interior/Seat Interchangeability) the '94 and later trucks had a seat pan that bolted to the floor and the seat bolted to it.  And they had a split seat with a fold-down console.  So you might look for something like that.

The beauty of going that way is that it bolts into the already-reinforced holes in the floor.  But if you drill holes and bolt elsewhere without the reinforcement you run the risk of the floor cracking around your bolt.  And, in an accident it might come loose.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
All '80-96 trucks should have the same 12 seat mounting points in the floor, as shown in this & the NEXT pic:

So any chair from those years should bolt in.

But with a little thoughtful creativity, almost any chair can be installed in a fullsize truck cab - all chairs are designed around the same ergonomic model of a human:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The issue is the difference in floor pans.  As explained in my link:

There are two different floor pans - regular cab and crew cab trucks share one, and Broncos and Supercabs share the other. It turns out that both pans are drilled for and accept the bench seat tracks. But, the bucket seat mounts attach to the floor in different spots, and only the Bronco/Supercab floor pan accepts them.

Said another way, you can't take a seat out of a Supercab or Bronco and bolt it directly into a regular cab or the front of a crew cab.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI