Seat Belt Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seat Belt Question

DH166
I need a set of seat belts for the 81 F100 Custom project, and I have a question.  When I look it up on LMC, it gives one part for 1980-1996 truck and Bronco.  Is the mounting the same on all those models?  If so, that would make it a lot easier to find in my local salvage yard than trying to track down an 80-86 F100.  Also, I wouldn't have to pay $200 to LMC  .  Thanks
1981 F100 Custom SWB 2WD 4.9L C4 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seat Belt Question

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seat Belt Question

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by DH166
DH166 wrote
...one part for 1980-1996 truck and Bronco.  Is the mounting the same on all those models?
No.

They might be selling 1 aftermarket kit that's applicable to all of them, but the original belts are VERY different, in many ways.  Broncos are always different from Fs, and even Broncos' belts changed through those years.  But Fs changed more...

The early F shoulder reel is at ear-level, which is probably what yours has.  Later, it moved lower, like Broncos, but still isn't interchangeable (according to Ford).  In the late 80s, a large door-jamb button was added, and then it disappeared by the early 90s.  My stash has grown since I took this pic:

The buckle is specific to the chair style - not the body (F/Bronco).  Captain's chairs & low-back buckets (as found in many Broncos) get a hard molded guide that makes the buckle stand up on the floor.  Most other chairs (benches) get a soft buckle (often with a shorter plastic guide) so they can follow the chair as it's adjusted fore-aft.