classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

School Me On Fuel Delivery Modules?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As many of you know, I'm going with the later fuel system on Big Blue, which will include the "fuel delivery modules".  But I'm having a hard time finding the FDM's themselves.  Do you replace then completely or do you replace parts of them?

Looking at the Rock Auto site for a 1995 F350 w/a 460 I find:

Fuel pumps at $25 to $156
Fuel pumps & housing assembly from $29 to $460
Fuel sending units from $114 to $147
Fuel tank & pump assembly from $168 to $239

This is really confusing to me.  What am I missing?  

It seems that you have to replace pieces, but that if you buy a new tank and pump you'll get the whole shooting match.  Yes?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: School Me On Fuel Delivery Modules?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the Spectra Premium is what I put in my front tank on Darth, the rear tank had a new NAPA that I was told was bad. Once I fully engaged the plug, it worked perfectly. SPI is decent as the assembly with a new gauge sender.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I dont personally like spectra unless we are talking like fuel tank then their tanks are decent.  But senders, every one I installed at work came back under warranty for sunken floats or shorted resistor board.  Had one as a fuel pump module come back with a burned up pump.  Why I am hunting down a NOS 85-86 sending unit sans pump.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill - Thanks, but which Spectra?  There are two Spectra Premium fuel pumps.  There are four Spectra Premium fuel pump and housing assemblies.  And there are four Spectra Premium fuel tank and pump assemblies.  Do you have a part number?

I'm really lost as I can't figure out Rock Auto's terminology.  I wonder if I go to Spectra's site?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, now I'm getting somewhere.  I Googled "Spectra Premium SP155" and got a hit at Amazon.  And they say it fits a 1995 F350 w/a 460.  But the picture shows it to just be the fuel pump itself.  However, at the bottom of the page they show a Spectra Premium SP2007H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for Ford F Series.  And that is the full Fuel Delivery Module.

And I can see that the FDM is made up of the SP155 fuel pump, a sending unit, and a filter in addition to the plumbing.  So, now I can figure out what I want to replace in my FDM's.  Or, just replace the whole thing.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, what are you planning to do about the sending unit if you buy the whole FDM? Your gauge will read backwards, no?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In a word, Arduino, as outlined here: Bricknose Sender to Bullnose Gauge Interface  However, seeing the sender stuck on the side of the FDM with a couple of screws got me to wondering if that's the best solution.

My guideline has been to build Big Blue in a way that my offspring can maintain it easily later.  And that suggests not grafting a Bullnose sender onto the side of a later pump.  Instead, building the interface to make the later unit work perfectly in a Bullnose.

However, there's one minor glitch with that - the float arm on the rear sending unit will have to be modified anyway if the reading is to be accurate.  That's because I going with a 38 gallon rear tank and there's no FDM for that.  But I realized last night that I could buy the FDM for a Bronco, which has a 33 gallon tank, and the sending unit's reading might be close enough to be acceptable.

But, since the Bronco only has one tank does its FDM have the check valves?  More thinking to be done.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The one I ordered was the complete module, I did have an issue with the first one, it was bad out of the box, but was quickly replaced under warranty. This was in Nov or Dec 2011. I would stick with the earlier modules as Ford changed the connector in 1994 I believe (note the pigtail in your link).

On the check valves, they should be there, I think the primary difference is the depth and gauge sender and you have the recall valves on the existing tanks if I remember correctly. They are removeable with a special tool, I switched the one on my front tank to the replacement module.

Looking at Rock Auto's catalog, it appears that all the pump modules clear back to 1990 have been superseded by the 1996 style, probably due to updates. Most of the good ones include the pigtail needed for the electrical harness. Do you already have the Bronco tank? If not, I would order the assembly, tank and pump module.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I do already have the 38 gallon tank.  It came from Vernon and has the strap extensions.

But, I see what you mean about the electrical connector.  I'd missed that.  Not only does RA seem to show only the later style, so does Amazon.  Apparently the vendors have all gone over to that style.  

And I do have the check valves.

I think what I'm going to do is to pull out the FDM's I have and see if I think I need to replace the pumps.  And, check the sending unit for continuity and smoothness.  This may not be as simple as I'd hoped.

However, I could change the wiring to the later style connector and make it easy for replacement later.  In fact, IIRC one of my connectors isn't in good shape.  So, when was the change made?  '96?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
1994 as far as I know. I have (somewhere) a 1994 and lines a friend in PA (Larry Sharff) sent me when he was building a plow truck from a Bullnose with a smashed cab and an Aeronose donor for the cab.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Would you consider swapping your gauge cluster?

Ive been hounding Dakota Digital to release their RTX Retro series of gauge clusters for our 80 - 86 trucks like they did with the late 70`s trucks.

Here are two photos of what I am talking about for the RTX Retro series, they look identical to the original gauges and even have a digital rolling mechanical looking odometer.

and when you turn the lights on the "normal" border lights up with hash marks and numbers listing the actual readings.  These gauges are very nice ive installed numerous VDX which is just like the RTX but they are more modern looking.  They have the ability to set any sending unit to read properly even universal aftermarket gauges that do not fall under any factory scale.

I really want to get one for my truck as it frees up more options due to how you can adjust and make it read right with what you get.  Would cut out your need of building a interface if they do eventually make it from demands and it would also allow you to adjust your speedometer through fine tuning to be as percise as you want.

I really want one of these for my trucks as it will be better than adding under the dash gauges to get proper temp, oil, and volt gauges.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I'm not ready to swap gauges.  There's nothing wrong with these, and I just painted the needles, installed a voltmeter instead of the ammeter, added an adjustable ICVR, and HiPo LED's.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Thats understandable.  It would be a good option though down the road though.  Could throw any fuel sending unit you want or change tire sizes or gear ratios and never have to worry about recalibrating as you can do it in the gauges itself
Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
That's a nice looking cluster...
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
It is, its $1,200 but its super slim, it has like 1000 different color choices for lighting, you can customize the display message centers, you can buy add ons to read ambient air temp, transmission temp, oil temp, compass, ect.

Its why I want it cause I planned on getting the add on to read transmission temp as well as ambient air temp and compass.  Only thing I dont like is the 8,000 rpm tach and the 120 mph speedometer.  I dont think any of us would be driving our trucks to 120 but thats not too bad.  the 8,000 rpm is one I dont care for.  Could at least put it at 7,000, I dont think any of us would have trucks with a engine capable of turning over 6,000 rpm.

But I am bugging them every month with an email trying to urge them to make one for the 80 - 86 trucks.  They didnt have the VHX series for the 80-86 they finally released it 2 years ago and now they release the Retro so I hope they will release the 80-86 Retro series in the next 4 or 5 years.

Also another neat feature every time you open the door the odometer will light up in its digital mechanical tumbler look just like a late model car.  Only down side is these clusters do not have dim capability where you can vary the dim.  They just have a day and night mode you preset and it switches to night mode like our clocks do when the headlights are on.  I always leave my dimmer at full so I would set the dash to be the same brightness at night time as the rest of my LED lights.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, got the fuel delivery modules out today.  One was literally trailing rust everywhere I took it.  Obviously toast.  So that was my guinea pig.  I pulled the sending unit, which comes off easily with three screws and then un-plugs from the connector.  But the sending unit wasn't continuous in its sweep.

Then I decided to take the plastic housing off to get to the pump and valves.  Man, that was a chore!   There are several, like maybe seven, plastic snaps that have to be freed.  But if you get one or two on one side when you work on the other side you hear SNAP and you lost the first side.  I finally got out some small screws and when I got one loose I put a screw in to keep it apart.  But even then it probably took me close to an hour to finally get it apart.  And it was full of rust.  

Given that, I'm pretty sure I do not want to replace the pumps w/in the housing.  Instead, I think I'm going to buy the complete FDMs.  But first I'll spend time tomorrow to make sure that the FDM's fit the tanks properly.

I'll pick this discussion up in Big Blue's Transformation thread as there are other aspects that are specific to Big Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did some work on the fuel delivery modules today, and took some pics along the way.  Here's a shot of a full FDM, showing the sending unit side and how it attaches:

Here's the other side showing the connections:

And here are two different sending units, either of which will bolt right on any of the FDM's.

And here's an FDM taken apart.  The piece at the top is the "hanger" that is mentioned in many of the advertisements.  Then below that is the FDM itself, with the piece on the left which has the pump and valves.  That piece goes into the housing on the right, and it snaps in with so many snaps that it is very difficult to get apart, and I don't believe replacing the pump itself is worth it.

And in all of the advertisements they say if you don't replace that filter/sock you void the warranty.  Want to know why?  Take a look at what was in this one:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Lol. Your table looks like mine.

That's some ugly  in there.

The old tank must be a mess.

So, are you going with early sender's and doing away with the Arduino idea?
 I like KISS
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
So what you determined is that the gauge senders will physically interchange even though they are electrically different? If so that is a great find!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No guys, I led you astray.  What I should have said is that any sender from any FDM will screw onto any other FDM.  Sorry.  

I could make a bracket to put a Bullnose sender on an FDM.  The Bullnose senders have a smaller hole spacing so it would be possible to do that.  But my intent has been to build it now so it can be maintained.  Tell them it is a 1995 truck and they can buy FDM's and put them right in, and the Arduino will translate.  In other words, I'm trying to future-proof it.