classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have a page called Saginaw Conversions here: Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Conversions.  Today I did a bit of reorganizing in the Steering section and debated what to do with that page.  Here are the options I'm thinking of, but would like your opinions.

Leave it where it is.  The advantage with this approach is that it can be found by search engines.

Fold it into the Power Steering page on the Pumps tab.  That is cleaner, neater, but apparently won't be found by search engines.

Thoughts?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If I were looking for this information I would follow path #1.

"Pumps" could be fuel pumps, water pumps, a/c compressors OR power steering....

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Agreed.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I would expect to find all the relevant information on a specific topic grouped together, so all information specifically about power steering pumps should be under “Steering.”

To find a section called pumps and list every know pump is what search engines are for. The same could be said for a page dedicated to “bolts” and you have to then rake through unnecessary information to find what you’re looking for.

As for SEO, maybe add keywords on pages that do are read by bots.

That aside, is there another way to format the sub-pages so that they contain less cell padding? Not everyone will use a desktop computer to access the site content, so can you adjust for mobile devices?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
I could not add this photo in my last post, but this is what I mean.

On my device, this page has little space for useable content, since it’s taken up by headings and cell padding:

If you can, reduce the size of the fonts site-wide, so you can fit more information in less space. Leave font scaling up to the individuals to tailor on their own devices (eg on iPhone set Text Size to large). I’m not suggesting making it impossibly small and skirt site accessibility standards, but at least maximize the content and minimize large heading text, etc.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, is the current location consistent with the location of other popular upgrades such as 3G alternator info, ZF-5 swap, hydroboost (?) etc.,? All else being equal I would favor a location where search engines will detect it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Perhaps there out to be a folder for "Bullnose Upgrades" and all the above plus DSII swap and anything else like that should live there...?

A hyperlink in each of the pertinent sections could go to that folder, or the specific sub-folder.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, it seems the feedback is split.  Some for an individual page, like we have now, and some for it being on the Power Steering page.

I think I want to leave it where it is for a while, for two reasons.  First, it would take some time to move it, and I need to get back to Big Blue.  Second, so the search engines can find it, which they don't seem to do with content that is deep on the page due to lots of tabs.

Vic - I've added key words on many pages that have tabs and from what I've seen the search engines don't reward info in key words the way they do content itself.  And they don't seem to find tabbed content.

And your suggestion of changing the font and reducing the cell padding is good.  But the key words, font, and cell padding are all part and parcel of an overall usability vs SEO optimization discussion.  It is one we seriously need to have, but not in this thread.  Let me think about this and I'll start another thread that will delve into this aspect of the site.  Thanks.

Jonathan - I think the Saginaw Conversion page's location is consistent with the 3G page.  For the Sag it is Doc/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Upgrade.  For the 3G it is Doc/Electrical/3G.  But I don't think we have a page on Hydroboost upgrades, do we?  We have discussions about it here in the forum, but no page on it in the Doc section.

But, we should and either you or Jim, IIRC, said I'd do it when done with Big Blue.  I'm happy to do that and can also do the 460 Saginaw part of it as well.  As for where it should go, I guess in light of the above discussion maybe it should be a page on its own in Doc/Driveline/Brakes/Hydroboost Upgrade?

Jim - I'm not averse to a folder with links, but where would you suggest we put it?  A new sticky?  And what is an "upgrade"?  Does a D60 qualify?  How 'bout converting from a Bricknose to a Bullnose?  Just trying to understand the guidelines.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, I'd say "upgrade" would include SAS, RSK, Headlight Relay Harness, DSII conversion, Sag swap, ect..

I don't see a fender and radiator support swap as an 'upgrade' except in the looks department.

Having a folder/page with all these in/on it, and a mention of "Those of us considering large tires and a lift, or tired of the constant whine of the C2 pump could benefit from a Saginaw steering pump conversion"
(With the italicised text taking them to the right spot in the "upgrades" folder/page)
Or something like that.  🤔

But I honestly don't know a thing about the backend of this site or how to implement it.
To my ignorant browsing habits that seems easiest to navigate.
(But I still find myself trying to use Boolean terms for search)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I like the idea of an upgrades page that has a very short description and then links to the actual content.
As was mentioned, an 'upgrade' could mean different things to different people so what about testing the idea as just a simple Top 10 that deal with commonly-accepted safety or functional upgrades that would apply to the trucks as they rolled off the line? So avoid the upgrades that are dependent upon other changes (like lifts) at first. As common as Top 10 lists are online it would be interesting to see what kind of traffic one would draw.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just to be clear, we are talking about a sticky, right?  Not a "thread".  Something that one of us creates, locks, and manages.  Correct?

We have Angelo's Necessities List? thread that could be the genesis of it?  If so, the "upgrades" listed there are:

Headlight Relay Harness
Door Handle Reinforcement Plate
Firewall Reinforcement Plate for Manual Trucks
Sealed Beam to H4 Bulb Conversion
Borg Warner 1356 oil pump anchor
Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners (I disagree that's an "upgrade".  )
DSII
For 6.9 owners water separator bypass (or aftermarket substitute)
Glow plug controller manual control bypass (or 87+ glow plug system swap)
Fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably
Cowl seal maintenance is also extremely important to prevent hydrolock.
87-96 visors with center support
85/86 plastic glove box liners
Bricknose polka-dot cowl piece (or screen)
Late style “J” wiper arms instead of post mounted blades.
Good quality fire extinguisher
3G
Saginaw
Hydroboost
PMGR starter
Redhead or BlueTop steering box
IDI fuel sending unit plastic suction foot replacement
Later plastic/aluminum master cylinder

Did I capture them correctly?  Miss some?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I  wouldn't make a sticky.

I'd just have a folder in resources.
I'd have all the subjects linked to in their respective subjects i.e. 'Suspension and Steering' page of resources would have 'steering' and whatever the FSM has under it.
Then some sort of suffix, like I posted above, that would take you to the Saginaw page of the "upgrades" folder.

Maybe I'm just not making any sense.
My autistic mind has a pretty odd file system of its own.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I was actually thinking of a page in documentation personally and each page linked to would also be in documentation (not the forum). More of the idea that if these upgrades are truly worth it then they should have a compiled page dedicated to them (under their relevant sections) vs having a visitor read through a thread that may have confusing/contradicting posts in it before it reaches the final consensus.

I do realize this would put a lot more work on you though.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess I misspoke.  

In 'Documentation'.

I agree with the above
And you can see how much I actually browse these pages.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Jim - I'm not high on another sticky, which is why I asked.

Scott - I'm with you on having a page in the Doc section that is dedicated to Upgrades To Bullnose Trucks.  (Jim - I see you've also agree.)  It would have a title and thumbnail description of each upgrade, as well as a link to the page having the info on the upgrade.

That will get found by the search engines, and they will also follow the links and catalog them.

But, those links can be to threads if we don't yet have a page on the upgrade.  Or to multiple threads.  And, even if we have a page on the upgrade we might want to provide links to threads.  For instance, on the 3G we have the page, but we also have several testimonials on how much difference it makes.  So why not give them links to them as well?

So the next question is where.  I've alphabetized the pages in Documentation - at least I hope I have.  So does it go under "U" for Upgrades?  Or does it get stuck toward the top of the list?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I had forgotten that there was not a documentation page on hydroboost yet. I can certainly help with that, but unfortunately I did not photo document my upgrade as well as I should have. I can probably piece something together though.

As far as the necessities list... might this be a good place to link the 40/20/40 seat pan for installing captain chairs in single cab or crew cab trucks? What about ZF swap info including adaptation to the 400? And for us straight six guys I would add adapting a 4,000 or 4,500 medium duty gas tach.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good ideas, Jonathan.  

On the hydroboost, I'll have pics from Big Blue, so can show how to do it on an F250.  Yours was on the F150, right?  Maybe we can just note the differences?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, we have a page: Documentation/Bulnose Upgrades.  (By naming it that I could put it #3 in the list and still keep the alpha order.  )

It is just a start and I want to kick some ideas around before going very far with it to ensure I get it right and don't have to backtrack.  For instance, the only thing that has a link right now is the 3G, and I added a blurb beside it.  Is it too much?  Will having blurbs beside each one make the page too long?  Are blurbs even needed?

And, is there a need to order/re-order them?  Alphabetically?  Put priorities with them?  Should they be grouped?  ?????????????????

So please check it out and see what you think.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
See, I might not even have a forward facing page.
Just put the hyperlink in the blurb, on the appropriate page (of the EVTM, in the case of the 3G)

People drill down to diagnose their alternator.
When they reach there, there is also -after- perhaps a short paragraph about the advantages of 3G conversion, with that text being the link to the appropriate page or article in the "upgrades" folder.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
See, I might not even have a forward facing page.
Just put the hyperlink in the blurb, on the appropriate page (of the EVTM, in the case of the 3G)

People drill down to diagnose their alternator.
When they reach there, there is also -after- perhaps a short paragraph about the advantages of 3G conversion, with that text being the link to the appropriate page or article in the "upgrades" folder.
I'm dense.  Sorry.  But I don't understand "forward facing page" nor "upgrades folder".  Please try me again?

As for a drilling down to diagnose their alternator, when they get to the EVTM there are no words.  Or, maybe I should say "no words I can modify".  There are words in the EVTM on how to test, as shown below, but in reality those are pictures of words and they aren't something I can edit.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to understand.