Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I suggested a "upgrades folder".
A repository of all the upgrades pages.

The folder doesn't even need to appear on the site.

The PDF of the EVTM page doesn't need to be modified.
You could just tag the paragraph on.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, I'm really simple, and as stated know less than nothing about how this site is built.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I like the page and I like the location. I think the blurb is needed for each to give the reader some context.

Referring to the extinguisher item, a couple thoughts -

First, I carry one in all my trucks and am all for it but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade. If it makes the list then one could argue for any emergency device (flares, jumper cables, flash lights, seatbelt cutter, windshield breaker, etc) to be added to the list. Singling out the extinguisher isn't my goal here but rather that how an item is determined to make the list should probably be decided sooner rather than later to save some work.

Second, regarding the link to the thread and your question - regardless of the topic, yes I think any link on this page should go to a page and not a thread. This is where unfortunately more work falls on you to cull the forum content and update the page as necessary but I think it will be much more user friendly (easy for me to say when you are doing the work  ).

If there is going to be more than 10-15 items then I thinking grouping them will make sense.
Especially on clear cut things like splitting out gas/diesel specific upgrades.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I suggested a "upgrades folder".
A repository of all the upgrades pages.

The folder doesn't even need to appear on the site.

The PDF of the EVTM page doesn't need to be modified.
You could just tag the paragraph on.
Jim - I think I may have figured out what you mean.  You are talking about having a page on the site that has pages under it with all the upgrades.  In other words, it might look like:

- Documentation
     - Accessories
     - Bullnose FAQ's
     - Bullnose Upgrades
          - 3G
          - Hydroboost
          - etc
     - Calibration Info

In other words, the upgrades wouldn't reside where we currently have them, like 3G in Electrical or Saginaw in Steering.

Is that what you mean?  If so, we are just talking a difference of where the pages reside - in their "native" category or in the Upgrade category.  Right?

As for sticking a paragraph on the EVTM page, I can do that.  However, the page on our site is really a jpg not a pdf.  (Did I say it was a pdf?)  What that means is that I'd convert it to pdf, stick the paragraph on, then convert it back to jpg.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Scott - You have a good point about "upgrades" and fire extinguishers.  Maybe we should say "An upgrade is a replacement for something that is already on the truck, or a different way of doing something that was already done on the truck."

Here are two examples:

Replacement: A 3G alternator is a direct replacement for an existing 1G or a 2G

Different Way: A headlight relay harness is an addition in one way of thinking, but it is really just a replacement for getting power from the battery to the headlight via control of the headlight switch.

Does that make sense?  If so, that knocks out the fire extinguisher as it is an addition.  But what about the firewall reinforcement plate?  Can we say it is upgrading the integrity of the firewall?  Ditto the door handle plate?

And, what do you think about Jim's suggestion, assuming I finally understand, of having a page that just houses the Upgrade pages?  That would do away with the need for the page I've created since the upgrades would be easily seen in the menu.  And, that would do away with the need to write things up.  Further, there would be no links, so no links to threads.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I agree that an upgrade is a replacement for an existing component or an addition to an existing system.

(EECV SEFI & E4OD would be replacing a carburetor, ignition system and transmission control -modulation-)

Adding a fire extinguisher, fog lights or air bags would not.

The firewall reinforcement goes in the same catagory as the 2G pigtail replacement.
TSB's need to be addressed, but they aren't 'upgrades' per se.

When I first look at the EVTM there are a number of bulleted 'chapters' in a menu format that provide a synopsis, and a link.
I'm suggesting another link -there (in an additional sentence or paragraph) to the described upgrades.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I like the page and I like the format Gary. I think the large bold headline plus blurb is great and no more difficult to browse than a short list of titles. I think alphabetical is the most logical ordering since it is an index of sorts. I think this page will be a helpful resource for owners.

I don’t know if it would belong here, or on another page... but what about other how-to’s? Like repairing the blend door, repainting interior plastics, polishing anodized aluminum trim, or pinning a glove box lock to match the door key? Not exactly upgrades per-se but related? I know there is a bunch on the table already to flesh out the links I just thought I’d mention it while the structure is being formed. Something to think about?

Edit: response posted before seeing the last couple of posts. You folks are already ahead of me
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
As long as the 'different' way is widely accepted as 'better/safer than factory' I think that criteria will work just fine.

Falls into personal preference but I like keeping the actual how-to's or detailed information pages in the relevant sections (like 3g under alternators) and using links from the Upgrade List. That way you catch the people reading the upgrade list to see what they should do next to their trucks as well as the people troubleshooting a 2g and will happen upon the 3g page from there. That's also assuming I am understanding correctly.

I also see the point about TSB's not necessarily belonging in the list but I feel that if it's a widespread problem (like the firewall flex) then it's a worthy upgrade. The door reinforcement, probably wouldn't make my list since it's not really applicable to these years (not saying I am not considering it myself just because ).

I would be inclined to clear the current list and start with 5 or so concrete ones that there are already supporting pages for and then grow from there. Maybe have a thread where people can hash out which ones should make it.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I think we have agreement on what an "upgrade" actually is.  So I'll put that dafynition on that page.

But, we have votes for doing the pages both ways.  Not including me there are two votes for having the page of a list of Upgrades/links and leaving the pages themselves in their associated sections, vs one vote for the pages themselves being under the Upgrades page header.  (I'm sure I said that poorly.)  So, let's leave the pages on the upgrades in their respective sections and link to them from the new page.

And, I agree that we should only put on that page links to what upgrade pages we have.  So I'll clean that up in a bit.  In addition, I agree with having a thread on this, so I'll start said thread when I introduce the page in a bit.  

As for the how-to's on things, we could have a How-To page and, keeping the same convention, put links on that page to the how-to pages.  So, for instance, the How-To page would have a link to Salvaging Rosewood, which would remain in the Interior section.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe we could have a "How To" sticky in the Projects section the same way we have a "Tips & Techniques" sticky in the Workshop section?

It will keep the front page from being any more cluttered.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Google regards tabbed/accordion content as hidden, therefore they don't index it. Instead of tabs, you could use anchor text, where subtopics are listed high up on a page, eg in a text-based menu or heading, or even in the first few lines of text on the page, and when you click on a link, the page jumps to that portion of the page.

As an example, choose an item on Amazon.com and to the top right side of the page click on the reviews link, and the page jumps / scrolls down to the location of Reviews.

It's likely no small task to refactor every page, and this may all be academic to you, Gary, but it is just a thought. If you want to try refactoring one or two pages, and outsource some of the labor, shoot me a message, I'd be glad to help where I can.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vic - You are right about Google, and the anchor text approach is one that many have go to in order to get around the problem.

However, that creates another problem - load time.  Many of our highly-tabbed pages have lots of documents embedded on them, and if you put them all on the same page won't they all have to load before the users sees much of anything?  That's not the case with tabbed content as it just has to load what's on that tab before you see it.

I really struggle with this.  Perhaps I need to re-create a page using anchor text and see how it works.

As for outsourcing some of the labor, I've thought of that.  Unfortunately, the plan I've signed up for, at $6/mo, does allow multiple Admins.  But each Admin has access to the full site.  However, for $12/mo I could upgrade to the Pro plan and that adds the option of having Authors, and I can limit which pages they can work on.

Maybe it is time to do the upgrade.  Thanks for the offer, but let me think on that just a bit.  OK?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Vic - I thought about it, conferred with the banker, and decided it is time to bite the bullet and go Pro.  So now we can have editors that can just work on specific pages.

Given that, are you game to try it out?  Not sure what you want to work on first if you do, but I can duplicate any page and give you control over it.  We should probably hide it in the menu so we don't confuse people, but I think you'll be able to do anything to it.

Ready?

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Perhaps you don’t need to upgrade.

You could possibly copy/paste/email the source code. I can then convert tabs to one page, add the necessary book mark hyperlinks, and perhaps to save page load times create links to the large documents that open in a new window only when required.

Just for one page to trial, it should not take too much of your time, and I’d only need it for the data we all see on the front end, for which we usurp with the updated page layout.

Would this work? If yes, you might impress the banker with your efficiency and financial prowess.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I have already upgraded.  And while I have a 30 day trial, I'm hoping to get others to step up to help.

As for emailing the source code, there are only two ways I have of getting that: A full backup or right-clicking Google and clicking Inspect.  But you could do that latter on any page you'd like and then use that to create another page.

If you want to do that then tell me what page you want to work on.  I'll create a blank page with a similar name and then set you up as the editor on it.  Ok?

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
The first page I came across that contained tabbed content was for CB Radios.

I could start with that.