SEM Colorants

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SEM Colorants

JMUBullnose
Does anyone have experience with them? I know Luke used a bunch in his truck rebuild. I'd love to repaint my door liners and thresholds. That way they match the nice upholstery my grandfather put in a few years ago.

So. Many. Projects. So. Little. Time.  
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SEM Colorants

85lebaront2
Administrator
I did my dash on Darth, the 1996 dash had a large crack that would not stay closed so I dyed a red 1995 dash Opal gray to match the rest of the 1996 interior.
You can see the unpainted red areas
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used SEM products on Rusty and the worked and held up well. But the key is the prep. Follow their instructions closely.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
I've use both SEM and ColorBond, the SEM on our Volvo's that have had their interiors mostly replaced with "donors" as the plastic has become brittle and replacements required a paint match.  I've found the local carriers to be very helpful on color-matching, but recently had my closest source stop offering custom rattle can  mixes.  So I decided to try out the custom-mixed ColorBond formulas from LMC for the truck.

I don't have a long experience with the ColorBnd, but I have about a decade with the SEM, and it's held up wonderfully despite the cars going through 3 active teens using the poor Swedish station wagon bricks as defacto trucks.

As Gary mentioned, prep is the key, with a clean surface and careful adherence to directions.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have also used SEM products.
First black on another car project but has not been out of the garage yet.

I also used SEM on my truck project dash and will on the rest of the panels when the time comes.

Same as the car has not been out of the garage yet.
I also have to say prep is everything.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Colorbond doesn't have any many colors as SEM. But they do have quite a few Ford colors and possibly other brand colors will match. But I can also say they hold up incredibly well. I haven't found anything better and use them often in restorations.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
I used it on my brother's SHO and am very happy with it. Like others have already said, preparation is key.

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/116-aesthetics-interior-wheels-tires/171919-i-agree-book-best-done-two-people.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Pete - Do you know what Bullnose colors they have?  Is there a way to figure that out like I did on the SEM colors?  I'm not pushing SEM, but that's the only match info that I have.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
No, not per se .  I think we discussed this before. Definitely have a wider choice with SEM, plus they can be mixed at many paint stores.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Speaking of color matching - what is the best way to figure out just what color combo you have? (Paint and interior trim). I think there were 3 different reds the year my truck went into production.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Decode your certification label: Specifications/Certification Label.  The Body Code gives you the interior color.  But, in 1984 there was only one red, and it should show as "D" for the second character in the body code, and it was called Canyon Red.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Ah crap - I think whoever did the last spray job got a light coat on the label. I'll have to double check tonight and see what can be done.   Located in the driver's door jamb right?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
JMUBullnose wrote
Ah crap - I think whoever did the last spray job got a light coat on the label. I'll have to double check tonight and see what can be done.   Located in the driver's door jamb right?
Yes left door jamb.
If there is paint on the sticker try a little lacquer thinner on a rag and be very very careful not to hurt the sticker.
That is how I got mine clean.

If going to paint a panel or 2 it is best to paint them all so it all matches.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Perfect! Thanks FuzzFace - I was contemplating what I could use to wipe off paint without damaging the sticker (biggest concern).  Sorry for delay in responding - went on vacation (silly me!).

Anyone know if the stickers can be reproduced so I can replace if I do damage it but am able to pull original info? (Random I know)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There is supposedly a company that will repro the certification label.  But I don't remember who that is, so hope someone else will respond.

They wouldn't be easily reproduced at home since they are two-part.  The base is just a template that has no info on it, but the clear overlay has the info and info has a tendency to go away when you pull the overlay off.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Gary - I suppose if I had taken 5 seconds to search for it online I'd of found it!  And lo, behold, I did!

Observe, my brethren...

Not bad at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One of the issues with a crew cab, since there is no door post on the front for the sticker, it had to be on the back of the driver's door. Great, until you need to replace a door. Now at least I know where I can get one, I need to see if my favorite MAACO has ever ordered from them and what it will cost for him to order me a new one for Darth. Freedom Ford (now Wynne Ford) in Hampton VA was able to get me a new emission label.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So it has to be a certified collision repair facility?  Hmmmm.....

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, they just get a better price.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile