Rusted floor pan on cab support causes misalignment?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rusted floor pan on cab support causes misalignment?

Wagoneermaster
Hi there, I am in for a F250 supercab, but there is something not aligned on the drivers side: the cap between the door and the front fender is misaligned. There is no play in the door hinges. the cap between the door and the rear side of the cabin is okay and is aligned. The floor is rusted badly at the point fron the cab support towards the side (door) and along the complete outside of the cabin floor. I was wondering if the misalignment could be caused by the fact that the cab isn't supported anymore and sags a bit at that point. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 5.9L (LPG injection, DIS ignition fully electronic EFI DIY design & build)
1982 F250 4x4 351W super cab, long bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rusted floor pan on cab support causes misalignment?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Years ago my son was given a PA 1968 F100. I was told by the previous owner (my nephew) that it needed a steering box (manual steering) as it was binding. Both front cab mounts were rusted as yours are. I believe I got some from J.C.Whitney, but I imagine there are other sources now.

After replacing the cab mounts, the steering was fine. Access to the bolts is through a pair of oval plates, one on each side in the sloped area of the floor pan. you can see the driver's side in this picture (this is a crew cab floor pan)
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Wagoneermaster
Thanks for your quick reply. I noticed on the inside, under the carpet, that is was quite moist. Since the truck hasn't been moved for months and it has been raining cats and dogs here, probably water ingresses somewhere from the firewall or windshield. I haven't bought the truck (yet), but I am trying to make an educated guess whether its worth buying it. I found some replacement / drop-in floor parts. I have never done such a thing by myself in the past but it doesn't seem too difficult to do.
Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 5.9L (LPG injection, DIS ignition fully electronic EFI DIY design & build)
1982 F250 4x4 351W super cab, long bed
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You can see in that picture the fiberglass repairs a friend did for me. The bolt access covers were scored at Pick-n-Pull in Virginia Beach VA.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Yes . Absolutely will cause the sag and the separation at the bottom of the door. I imagine if you loosened the lowest fender mounting bolt it will shift even more. You need floor pan repair and the cab support also. You may possibly needto find a fab shop to make one . They are getting hard to find and anything reproduction is unfortunately chinese most of the time. Its concerning to see that much rust right there as it tells me you have much more to find. Discouraging but not defeating.