classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rubber gaskets.

stevenscoffee
This post was updated on .
Hey everyone. I have some holes cut into the bottom of my truck into the cab for wires and such. With winter approaching I need to get these plugged!

Does anyone know where I get the rubber washer to plug them?

These are on the floor behind the seat on both passenger and driver side.

1985 F150 short bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rubber gaskets.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steven - I'm not sure I know a source for the plug, but maybe I can at least get a part number.  But where is that hole?  And is it a factory hole?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

stevenscoffee
It looks factory, if not the previous owner sure did a good job cutting them!

There about 2” and 1” diameter and behind the bench seat on the floor. Let me go take a better photo.
1985 F150 short bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, but where is it?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by stevenscoffee
stevenscoffee wrote
Does anyone know where I get the rubber washer to plug them?
LMC has a pretty big selection of these plugs, from tiny up to 2.5" or bigger.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by stevenscoffee
What wires are going through there?

A rubber washer is a grommet. I think you need a seal or plug.

Get creative. I have the shipping cap from a hydraulic pump stuck in the hole on my passenger side.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

stevenscoffee
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
They are on the floor, behind the bench seat.
The two wires are from the CB to the antennas on the headache bar. Previous owner was extremely creative in wiring! I am finding all sorts of strange and unusual things throughout the truck!
1985 F150 short bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
If you go on amazon you can get body plugs for relatively cheap in plastic or rubber. Then you can seal them in place for added water protection. This will save you significant money over LMC. Small parts LMC charges a arm and a leg for, I found that out the hard way. I paid for body plugs from them and for the hardware for the front grill and surrounds. The front end hardware cost me $54 then found out I could have got three trucks worth for that price.

Some of those plugs from LMC are like $3 each when you can get a kit for $7-$15.

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Right you are!  I hadn't looked for body plugs for quite some time, but sure enough Amazon has a bunch of them.  Here's a link that might help: https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Flush-Mount-Black-Assortment/dp/B00PP7XU1E

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I have a combination of both those plastic ones and the rubbers. With the plastic I put sealant on the metal, put the plug in and smoothed out the squeeze out. Should be on my project page. With thos plastic ones they are tight, give them a good push in the middle and they will pop into place with good tactile feedback.

You could drill a hole in the middle of that plug put about a 1"long piece of clear tygon tubing from Lowe's through it (glued/sealed in) then run your coax through that tube. Once the coax is through tape both sides, then cut a slit just big enough for your sealant nozzle in one side and inject the tube with sealant. This will give you a good waterproof seal with a bit of reinforcement. May be overkill lol, you could also do a build up with some butyl tape.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You could probably just use Shoe-Goo.

It sticks tenaciously on cleaned surfaces, seals well and is available almost everywhere.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You could probably just use Shoe-Goo.

It sticks tenaciously on cleaned surfaces, seals well and is available almost everywhere.
Yea that stuff is pretty incredible, there is a brand called "Goop" it has different versions but it seems all the same. E6000 is also good stuff in a similar category.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
4 or 5 kinds of Goop, and E6000.
All pretty much the same thing, marketed by the same company.

Steve83 has a manifesto on the stuff, if you care to search E6000.
 Jim,