classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Roof top tents.

Blacktop
Hello again guys,
Over here in the UK, some people have roof top tents on Land Rovers etc. I'm thinking of buying one and mounting it across the top of the bed on my truck.
Anyone on this forum got a similar type tent and any tips or considerations before buying?

Thanks for any info,

Alan
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Roof top tents.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Alan - I don't have a tent, yet. But I sure hope I do.

The reason is that I want to go "overlanding" with my son. (At least that's what we call it over here when you go to the back of beyond, drive as far as you can in one day, camp for the night, and drive on the next day.) And this is why I'm building up Big Blue.

But I've not yet selected the tent nor the rack so cannot point you to one I'd recommend. However, I have had some thoughts along those lines.

I've embedded an article that I scanned in from a magazine I bought a couple of months ago. In it you can see the tent he's using. And given the amount of use his truck has gotten I'd guess that he's happy with the tent.

But you can also see that he didn't mount it "across the top of the bed". Instead it is on a rack, which gives you access to the bed and its contents. But the height of the rack is a big question. Some want the top of the tent, when the tent is folded closed, to be even with the top of the cab for less wind drag. But these trucks aren't the least bit aerodynamic so I'm not sure that's an issue. Instead, I want it up so there's better access to the bed.

I'm a newbie at all of this. So one of my go-to places is Expedition Portal. My son introduced me to that site and I've read a lot on there about various things. They seem to know what they are talking about.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Blacktop
There are MANY considerations for a tent, and many tents to consider (including DIY, custom-ordered, and normal ground-mount tents adapted for vehicle installation).  Cost, climate, terrain, driving conditions, vehicle loading, overhead clearance, visibility, occupants (number AND size), local wildlife (bears, snakes, goats), materials...  Will you drive under trees that will abrade the tent - does it need to stow in a hard case?  Do you plan to $#!+ & shower at the truck - does the tent need a privacy apron hanging down the side of the truck?  Does it need to stand up to arctic tundra-force winds & blizzards in Finland?  Or does it need to be comfortable in the heat of Spain?  Is the time to erect & stow the tent a concern - does it need to go up & down simply by flipping its case open?  Is a tent really what you need, or would you do better with a full slide-in camper (A/C, plumbing, lights)?
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
I will mainly be camping on level sites rather than wild camping in the middle of nowhere. I am not against making a rack to raise the tent level with the roof but initially I am intending on using unistrut to attach it to the top edge of the bed sides. Perhaps at a later date I will fabricate a rack once I can design/copy one.
We are seasoned campers having been camping many times over the last 35 years or so. Like the quick time it takes to put up a roof top style tent and it being raised off the bed of the truck allows storage underneath.
Thanks for your input guys😁
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧