Ride height specifications

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ride height specifications

ScubaSteve
Does anyone know what the original ride height is on a 1986 f150 2wd? I am trying to see just how much my springs have sagged.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ride height specifications

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I may have it in some of my dealer lit, but it will probably be Sunday before I can check.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by ScubaSteve
There are too many variables - options, springs, tires...  It's more-important to check for LEAN than for height, because there's no way all 4 springs can sag exactly the same amount.  So if the lean is in-spec, there's not enough sag to worry about.

This chart contains 1 ride height spec (for Broncos), but I'm not sure where or how it's measured:

Be sure to check for bent/worn/damaged suspension components - especially sway bars & all bushings.  It also helps to wash & grease between the leaves every few years for a MUCH-smoother ride.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have found specifications in the past on other trucks that gives the measurement from the top of the axle to the frame and was wondering if there was something similar on the f150's. Not worried about the actual truck height. The truck does not lean from left to right but it sits level front to back and I know that's not right. I am just curious how much actual spring sag I have in the back.

Thanks,
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've found pages in the 1985 factory shop manual similar, if not the same, as what Steve83 has linked to.  And having studied them a bit I find that in that manual there is no set "ride height".  Instead there is a range of ride heights and associated camber and caster angles for each of those angles.

Tomorrow I'll look in other books to see if there is a recommended ride height.  And, I'll try to figure out how to put the pages with the info on the website.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI