Ridding my 86 F150 of Gremlins

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ridding my 86 F150 of Gremlins

T Doorly

First thing I replaced was the Starter switch down on the column. because it would cut out and die on me if the key was turned back a little.  I found out the old one maybe wasn't bad and just needed to be adjusted with the elongated screw holes.  Doing that I messed up the drive indicator cable . The key cylinder will have to be replaced because I had a hard time getting the key in it this morning.  So that will have to be fixed now.  Next I can't lock or unlock the doors with my key. The lock mechanism is very stiff and power locks don't even work.  Idle is up and down. It has a funny whining sound coming from under the cab.Transmission?  Under the hood I hear a snapping sound coming from the right end plug in relay? that is under the black plastic box.  The visors are hanging loose and I'm gonna replace them with ones from a 89. If anyone has had the same problems with they're trucks and have a fix let me know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ridding my 86 F150 of Gremlins

85lebaront2
Administrator
I could recommend a good exorcist.

Whining is probably the high pressure fuel pump, it is directly under the cab.

Stiff locks, and problem with the ignition switch, probably get a replacement set of three, door lock and ignition lock.

Snapping sound, and idle up and down may be related, 1985.5 and 1986 EFI systems are extremely sensitive to idle speed setting, it is a throttle position voltage issue most likely. The TPS voltage has to be at 1.0 V +/- .05 V, at roughly 1.1 V the EGR system starts to open, and the solenoid valves will chatter like magpies.

Visors, any 1987 through 1997 set will work, and the cab inner roof area is pre-indented for the pin and screw of the later visors.

Shift indicator cable may have to be a junkyard item. The indicator assembly comes out of the cluster.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by T Doorly
Those aren't "gremlins", they are layers of the onion.  These trucks are just big onions, and we peel and cry, peel and cry.  But pretty soon we have a Bloomin' Onion!  

Seriously though, let's take a few of them one at a time:
T Doorly wrote
First thing I replaced was the Starter switch down on the column. because it would cut out and die on me if the key was turned back a little.  I found out the old one maybe wasn't bad and just needed to be adjusted with the elongated screw holes.
Instructions for adjusting the ignition switch are here: Electrical/Ignition on the Ignition Switch tab.

T Doorly wrote
Doing that I messed up the drive indicator cable.
Is it broken?  If not, it can be adjusted.

T Doorly wrote
The key cylinder will have to be replaced because I had a hard time getting the key in it this morning.  So that will have to be fixed now.
It may be just gummed up.  You can shoot it full of WD40 and gently wiggle the key back and forth to see if it will move.  And if it won't move then you might take the ignition switch off and see if there is something jammed down there.  And, with the key in there's a little hole on the lock toward the bottom for removing the lock/tumbler.  If I remember correctly you stick something like a paper clip in there to release it.

T Doorly wrote
Next I can't lock or unlock the doors with my key. The lock mechanism is very stiff and power locks don't even work.
I have a similar problem on the passenger's side.  David/1986F150Six told me it is because the linkage is bent.  But I'm not sure where the bend is.  Perhaps he'll chime in tomorrow morning?

T Doorly wrote
Idle is up and down. It has a funny whining sound coming from under the cab.Transmission?  Under the hood I hear a snapping sound coming from the right end plug in relay? that is under the black plastic box.
We really don't know what the truck is.  You need a signature that tells us the year, the engine, and the transmission so we don't have to guess.

T Doorly wrote
The visors are hanging loose and I'm gonna replace them with ones from a 89.
That's the right thing to do.  But get the clips for the inside end.  And, don't cut off the locating tab as someone on FB suggested.  Figure out where they should go and drill the right holes.  Oh, and they sit at a slight angle, not straight across.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The more we know about your truck, the more-likely we can help you get it where you want it to be.  Click this thumbnail & read the whole caption:

Then edit ALL its details into your signature here so we can review them with each reply.  Your current & future questions can involve every aspect of the truck's build & condition, so don't leave anything out.
T Doorly wrote
...the old one maybe wasn't bad...
Before replacing any part NOT on the maintenance schedule, you should diagnose the problem BEFORE disturbing anything on the truck or buying the replacement.  This diagram's caption contains the logic table for the ignition switch:

But there was also a recall on the early switches, so it's probably good you changed it (as long as you got a high-quality replacement).

T Doorly wrote
Doing that I messed up the drive indicator cable .
Those are not available new anywhere, and very difficult (or impossible) to repair.
T Doorly wrote
The key cylinder will have to be replaced because I had a hard time getting the key in it this morning.
Are you saying you want to replace it because it was difficult?  Or are you implying it was so difficult that you damaged it?  This diagram shows the 4 steering columns for these trucks; the NEXT one (in this photo album) shows the most-common problem with them:

T Doorly wrote
Next I can't lock or unlock the doors with my key. The lock mechanism is very stiff...
Have you ever cleaned or lubed them according to the maintenance schedule?  What about the door latches?
T Doorly wrote
...power locks don't even work.
That's typical of the early lock motors, shown here:

Fortunately, they can be replaced (with some drilling & wire-splicing) by the later motors.

The door latches have to come out for that, so it's a good excuse to soak them in kerosene, deodorized mineral spirits, or some other solvent, & then lube them while swapping the lock motors.
T Doorly wrote
Idle is up and down. It has a funny whining sound coming from under the cab.Transmission?
We need to know the truck's maintenance history, so put that in your signature, too.  The transmission isn't a common source for a whine, but try to pinpoint it.  If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, use ~3' of garden hose.

T Doorly wrote
Under the hood I hear a snapping sound coming from the right end plug in relay? that is under the black plastic box.
Post pics.  There's a link in the caption of the first thumbnail that explains how.
T Doorly wrote
The visors are hanging loose and I'm gonna replace them with ones from a 89.
Newer visors are the only fix, but they get loose, too.  They just have support hooks that make their looseness less-obvious.  I always add another support hook above the door so the visor doesn't swing around as I'm driving.

85lebaront2 wrote
...the cab inner roof area is pre-indented for the pin and screw of the later visors.
Neither of mine were.  But they're Broncos, and their roofs are different from Fs'.
Gary Lewis wrote
And, don't cut off the locating tab as someone on FB suggested.  Figure out where they should go and drill the right holes.
I grab an extra hook from the JY, cut its locating pin off, drill another hole straight through where that pin was, put the drilled hook on the installed visor, mark the hook's location on the sheet metal through the drilled hole, and then drill the hole for the intact hook.
Reply | Threaded
|

T Doorly
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thank you for all that great information.  I knew being a part of this group would be very beneficial.
Reply | Threaded
|

T Doorly
In reply to this post by Steve83
Wow, You guys are seriously polite and very helpful Group of Gentleman.  I will get the tag numbers  to you guys.  I want to keep this truck and getting running perfect.  I think it overwelmed the guy I bought it from. I don't give up that easy.  I am surprised at how different it is from my other F150s 89, 90, and 94.  I think the quality on Bullnose Fords is better than  later years on certain things.  This is my first one so I do appreciate the help.   Thank You 85 Lebaron, Gary L., and Steve 83.  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You are welcome, I will try to get you a picture of the double visors with lighted vanity mirrors I installed in Darth.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

T Doorly
Are any of you guys located in east centeral PA.?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are welcome.  We strive to be "gentlemen" and treat everyone politely.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops, I missed that.  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map), but I don't see anyone in east central PA.  However, not nearly everyone is on the map.  So, perhaps someone will respond that is.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Love Onion rings!
Heading to Hazelton this week for Work...
Here's my "almost done" stop bloomin' onion.
Currently installing a Visor and Hadley air horns....

From this....

To this....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
85lebaront2 wrote
I will try to get you a picture of the double visors with lighted vanity mirrors...
This & the NEXT dozen show the '94-96/7 dual visors:

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
Love Onion rings!
Heading to Hazelton this week for Work...
Here's my "almost done" stop bloomin' onion.
Currently installing a Visor and Hadley air horns....

From this....

To this....
Looks nice! I like that truck!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Thanks, Steve that is probably better than just a picture.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile