Retro Wheel Centers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Retro Wheel Centers

Alfie623
Has anyone ever seen this?  These are new wheels and I’m toying with filling and tapping them to receive the Ford centers.  It seems like the hardest part is getting a plumb hole in the aluminum.  It would be really cool if I could bring this together but I think I’m too nervous to try it.  

Bare wheel

My center just sitting there

A pic someone posted on FB
1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Retro Wheel Centers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you know anyone with a drill press?  That would make it easy to get a truly vertical hole.

But, since you'll be going in with the plastic anchors, I assume, it isn't terribly critical.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
In reply to this post by Alfie623
What make of wheels are those? Ansens?
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The picture you posted from FB are factory wheels that were available from 77-81. They already have the anchors in them from the factory.

I have seen plenty of trucks with your style of wheel and the center caps made to fit them. I agree with Gary, I would locate a drill press and make sure the wheel is tightly held in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
In reply to this post by Blacktop
They are US Mags Indy 101 wheels.  US Mags shares the same address with Foose Wheels in Los Angeles area.  I bought them from Summit Racing.
1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
In reply to this post by salans7
I have a drill press but getting the wheel into the press, even without the tire would be a challenge.  I think an easier trick would be to get a piece of aluminum about 1" thick and wide enough to span two of the lug holes.  I would make a jig that would place the anchor hole where it needs to land and use the aluminum as a guide. I could bolt it through the two lug holes and drill with a hand drill through the 1" jig that would keep the drill straight.  I don't think the holes for the centers needs to be perfectly centered and since it's so close to the axis of rotation if it was off 1/32" it wouldn't make much of an issue.   I may get the guts to actually drill these wheels some day but for now I'm focussing on the rest of the work on the truck.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was envisioning doing it with the tires off the wheels.  Even my mill may not be big enough with a tire on.

But the jig might work pretty well.  You might slip a piece of steel tubing over the bit to keep it from chewing on the aluminum of the jig since you have a dozen holes to drill.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hardened drill bushings for jigs are pretty cheap and ubiquitous.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Alfie623
I am not usually a fan of aftermarket wheels, but I think the new U.S. Mags Indy slot wheels you have look MUCH better than the stock (1978 - 1981) Ford wheels.  The Indy slots look more "kidney" shaped, whereas the Ford's are more squared off and is a narrow wheel.  I think the Ford ones look better on a 1970s truck than our Bullnoses.  I also think the chrome centers look better than the black, which to me also look like they belong on an older 1970s truck.  The chrome ones would be more period-correct and provide that finishing touch!  I would do it.  

In fact, Lucille had the Indy slot wheels when I first took possession of her in the late 1990s.  I think they were 15x8.5.  I had originally planned to restore them and do exactly what you are proposing, but decided to go with the 15x8 stock Deluxe Argent Styled Steel (wagon) Wheels instead.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.