Restoring tail gate…paint recommendations?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Restoring tail gate…paint recommendations?

NickL73
Working on my truck bit by bit, and recently started to tackle the tailgate. Somebody had previously sprayed what appeared to be bedliner on the top of the tailgate. I assume it was to protect it from wear and abuse, but I don’t use my truck that way.

I successfully got the bedliner spray off, but need bring the surviving paint back to life. I used waterless wash, clay bar, and Meg’s #7 on a small section to test and it seems to work pretty well so that’s the path I’ll continue down.

However, there are some chips in the paint that expose a pink-ish primer and some down to bare metal. I’d like to correct these to avoid rust. I looked up the paint code on the specifications page, and noted it’s single stage and does not use clear coat.

Does anybody have any recommendations for paint brands to get the 1C black color code? Probably looking for a rattle can for ease of use. Is this the best way to do this (outside of a full respray)? I worry about getting enough layers down to match the depth/height of the surrounding intact paint.

Thanks!
Car work beginner, here to learn and get some experience!

My Bullnose:
1984 F-150 Short Bed, 302 V8, Three on the Tree

My Daily:
2012 Ford Mustang V6, Performance Package
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Restoring tail gate…paint recommendations?

81-F150-Explorer
You can get paint to match from Automotive Paint stores. They can match it in open top cans or put it into spray cans for you.  Look for Automotive Paint Stores near you.

I use to use Centauri Paint from DuPont now owned by Axalta. It was really durable and matched the single stage paints of these vehicles really well.  This paint does or used to contain lead, so may not be available anymore.

As for the tailgate. I would spray the damaged section, and blend in the paint after the new paint hardens.

Depending on your skill level, you may want to paint the whole tailgate.

The hood and Right rear bed side on my truck needs attention, and I'm debating on using spray cans or set up a spray gun with compressor. Depending which is cheaper for supplies.  Spray cans are nice for small areas, but a spray gun is better for larger areas.

Anyway you decide, good luck.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.