Replacing wiper arm

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacing wiper arm

JMUBullnose
Today's commute in the dark and rain was made all the more fun by the bullet connector on my driver's side wiper arm deciding it was a good time to back out halfway...so at highway speed I was getting partial clearing. I've ordered a replacement arm already but was wondering if anyone has ever swapped the bullet connector style out for the J-hook style of connector arm and if it was as easy as I think it might be?

When I removed some wiper arms from the junkyard, it was pretty easy - pull on the retaining ring and worker the wiper arm off the splined gear. Would it be that simple with some j-hook wiper arms that are the right length? (this is what I call them...not sure correct term)

Example of J-hook: http://a.co/d/9S4PnGV
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing wiper arm

Gary Lewis
Administrator
From what I've read the j-hook arms are a direct replacement for ours.  I have a set that I plan on installing, but haven't done it yet.  Perhaps soon?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Thanks Gary - I had a feeling it might be a direct replacement/update.  Where did you get your set?
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I paid $800 for them - and got a whole parts truck to boot.  

Seriously, they were on Huck, the 1990 F250 half-truck I bought for the E4OD and EFI 460.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Hah!  Nice one Gary! Excellent - okay maybe I should look at some 1990's era wiper arms.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
J-hook arms were factory from '94-96 ('97 >8500GVWR) on F-series/Broncos.

They're direct replacements for '80-93 side-peg arms.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Steve!  Apparently Huck's had already been replaced.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by Steve83
Awesome! Thanks Steve! 17526 - now to remember how to figure out the whole part #.

It's that or the Dorman part! :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
JMUBullnose wrote
...now to remember how to figure out the whole part #.
It's that or the Dorman part!
I never worry about PNs - I just browse the local JYs for good used ones.  Or shop Amazon/eBay/CL/LetGo/etc. by name & year.  They were only used 4 years (on trucks - IDK about other Ford products with the same arm), but those were VERY prolific years for these trucks, so there are a lot of them out there still.