Replacing tie rods and control arm bushings.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacing tie rods and control arm bushings.

Jeff S
I have an 82 bronco and I am going to replaced the tie rod end and control arm bushings.  I figure I have watched the minimum recommended number of videos on the subject and it looks to be pretty straight forward.  Isn't youtube great.  My question is on which parts to order.

Looking on Rock Auto there seems to be three level of parts:  Economy, Daily Driver and Premium.  I have heard of most of the brands but know sometimes its worth paying for the name and sometimes its not.  

The Premium MOOG parts look to be about double the mid-level Mevotech.  Even with the MOOG parts its not really a break the bank job but I don't want to spend more that I need to.  (Looks like there will be plenty of opportunities to spend money.)  Just wondering if its worth spending the extra money on the MOOG parts.  Tks
82 Bronco w/351w and c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing tie rods and control arm bushings.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm going back with Moog, if that answers the question.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jeff S
It does, Thanks Gary.
82 Bronco w/351w and c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Jeff S
Last time I bought new TREs, I found MotorCrafts on eBay for less than I could find cheapos anywhere else.

I use RockAuto &/or TascaParts to get the MC PNs & their prices, but then I shop everywhere.
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/1984/ford/bronco/xlt-trim/5-0l-v8-gas-engine

For bushings, I highly recommend only Energy black.  This & the PREVious 4 pics & captions show the PNs for most Broncos:

This site is pretty good at finding those PNs (though they don't list all the applications I've found), and their prices are often the lowest I can find, including shipping:
https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products/ford_bronco_4wd_1982?scri=8,1&filter