Replacing the Rosewood trim with real wood insead of a plastic paint cover thingy?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacing the Rosewood trim with real wood insead of a plastic paint cover thingy?

BullnoseHunter02
Hey yall, so im jumping the gun again, daydreaming about having a Bullnose, (Ill have one hopefully by the end of this year or sometime next year!) and was thinking, the Rosewood trim on the XLT Lariat trucks wasnt real wood trim, (Therorectically plastic painted panels) Would it be possible to fabricate real wood pieces to go in place of the plastic? Its a cool idea but im not sure it it would work. Just an idea imma throw out there to make the whole "Luxury trim thing seem more authentic. Any input on this welcome!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing the Rosewood trim with real wood insead of a plastic paint cover thingy?

Ford F834
Administrator
My father has been a woodworker/custom furniture builder for 47 years... and I grew up learning from him in the woodshop. The bezels can’t very well be replaced with wood because anything thin enough won’t be strong enough. That leaves gluing veneer onto the plastic bezels. Gluing wood onto plastic isn’t ideal because the wood will shrink and swell with atmospheric moisture and the plastic won’t. It will try to crack and buckle. Lots of varnish to seal the veneer in plastic will help, but it’s a tall order for the wood to stay on and look nice. The heat of an auto interior is brutal. You could certainly try it, but trimming and steam bending the veneer isn’t easy... if you are simply not fond of the two wood grain patterns that Ford made you might look into hydro dip films. At some point I want to try that for replicating the very rare XLS brushed aluminum.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing the Rosewood trim with real wood insead of a plastic paint cover thingy?

BullnoseHunter02
This post was updated on .
Thanks so much! it sounds a lot harder than im imagining!ive heard that Aluminum finish is super hard to re create!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
An option might be the woodgrained adhesive-backed vinyl.  I did that to a friend's car in the 60's and it held up well, so surely 50 years later the technology of vinyl is even better.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
yeah, true. ill look into that stuff. Now i know why Ford didnt use real wood when they did that trim! Just seeing how much it would take to make the whole "Luxury Truck" thing a step further. Was the XLT Lariat really that luxurious for the time? by todays standards it doesnt seem like much at all!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I have a sawmill. It cuts 1/16" vaneers.....just saying. Might be able to do some experimenting.....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic... but...

Gary, for whatever reason I cannot view all of the text for this thread with my phone in landscape position. It disappears on the right side and I cannot scroll there. I used to think this happened because of large inserted pictures but this post has no pictures... I don’t know if you can detect a formatting difference that is causing this, but I thought I’d Let you know just in case it is correctable for future.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
By golly you are right!  It does it on my iPhone X as well.  And I don't see a reason for it.  Let me look further.....
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI