Replacing Sliding Rear Window with solid Glass - good idea" Which gasket do I use?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacing Sliding Rear Window with solid Glass - good idea" Which gasket do I use?

CountryBumkin
I'm thinking of repalcign the factory Sliding Rear window on my 1982 F250 Lariat with a Solid Glass window.
Because the sliding window leaks and rattles, and now I see some rust under the rubber gasket. So if I'm going to pull out the window, I think I would be better off just installing a solid glass rear window. Plus I never open/use the rear window.

I checked Dennis Carpenter site, and Jeff's Bronco Graveyard - they don't have anything. But LMC truck does have a solid rear window.

So is there any reason not to go solid? I assume the body opening is the same for either style and just the gasket is different.

Which gasket do I get?
(1) They show a gasket for window with the chrome insert, which I have now and would not mine reusing.
(2) Or they show a gasket for a truck that "originally came with a sliding rear window". That sounds like it is intended for those going from slider to solid window.

-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing Sliding Rear Window with solid Glass - good idea" Which gasket do I use?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mike - I don't see any reason not to go with a solid window, although I won't as I open mine up from time to time.  Are you going with a tinted window?  I would as the sun gets hot.

As for the gasket, I would call them and ask.  The bit about "originally came with a sliding rear window" doesn't make sense to me as the trucks aren't different.  So why does it matter what it originally came with?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacing Sliding Rear Window with solid Glass - good idea" Which gasket do I use?

FuzzFace2
IIRC the Ford slider had a thicker frame that fits into the rubber.
The after market slider has a thinner frame and can use a rubber gasket for solid glass or after market slider.

Now my truck came with a slider that was like yours, gaskets dried & broken, no latch ... junk!
My parts truck had a solid glass, it was almost out from the roll over and pulled it for the ride home.
I used it and the gasket that was on it and with its first wash last weekend no leaks.

You may want to check Amazon for the glass and if you don't care if you have the chrome, this can be a PITA when installing glass, get a new gasket.
Remember that gasket has been in the truck for a long time and dries out and gets stiff making it hard to install the glass.

That brings up - who will be installing the glass? If not you the shop may want a new gasket to install the glass.
BTW I was able to install the rear glass by myself but I have also done rubber gasket glass in stalls, VW bugs, so I knew how to do it but would have been nice to have help.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
"Original sliding rear window" is the factory slider with the much wider glass channel.
Aftermarket windows like CR Laurence use the single glass gasket (AMHIK!)
I went with the 'chrome' trim for originality.

A couple of years back I documented this, when I was up in Vermont, in the fall.
Goop or KY on the gasket and braided blind cord from the hardware.
If you're trying it by yourself a couple of those cheap glass handling suction cups from Horrid Fate help immensely.

Not sure how many pics I posted when I did that and recovered my front seat, but both the gasket and seat cover came from Victoria LTD/Long Motors Corporation.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by CountryBumkin
CountryBumkin wrote
So is there any reason not to go solid?
I can tell you that even on a cold day, when the sun hits that back window, it acts just like a magnifying glass on the back of your neck! I even felt it a couple weeks ago when I was sitting at a stop light...it was probably only 44F degrees out, and the back of my head and neck felt like it was 110F degrees out...lol.

I actually prefer the clean look of the solid back glass, but I personally need to do something with mine...either tint it, or install a tinted slider window, or install AC, or all of the above. I can't leave mine as it is for another summer.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hi guys, I did replace the gasket once before (for my OEM Slider with the chrome trim insert) to repai some rust forming under the gasket at the bottom. I bought the gasket from Dennis Carpenter site then (good quality). I did the replacement myself. It was a pain but not too bad. I used the rope in the gasket method with a lot of silicone spray and a cotter-pin puller tool.

Since the gasket is leaking again (I think the drain holes in the slider track clog) and now I have some rust showing, I want to eliminate the Slider style with the "drain holes" and go solid.

But I like the idea to just have a auto glass installer do the job. Having done the job once, I would gladly pay $50 to have someone else do it. I'll have to see what they charge.

I am going to go with the tinted glass (says tinted green). I'd rather have a dark tint but I could always add more tinting if I want to.

Regarding the gasket that says "Original Sliding Rear Window" it does seem strange to note that. Why would it matter? If the body opening and thickness is the same for solid window and slider window). I know the gasket is different for each style window - but what the truck came with originally should not matter.

I am tempted to call and ask - but I know I'l get some sales person that doesn't have a clue and just repeats the notes in the catalog. I have a much better chance of getting good information here. It's like going to the parts store for wiper blades and the clerk wants to know if I have an automatic transmission or a manual.
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thickness is NOT the same.
The groove for a factory slider is like 7/8" wide.
An aftermarket slider or single glass will not stay in there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
CountryBumkin wrote
It's like going to the parts store for wiper blades and the clerk wants to know if I have an automatic transmission or a manual.
Ha! It also helps if you provide the wheelbase dimensions...lol. Poor guys, some of them are so robotic, they already know that the question is irrelevant, but they ask it anyway. The auto parts shop I frequent the most if pretty good, but the youngest guy working there is probably 50, so that helps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've had good luck calling LMC.  It was a few years ago about mechanical clutch linkage parts, but the lady I drew knew what she was talking about.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Thickness is NOT the same.
The groove for a factory slider is like 7/8" wide.
An aftermarket slider or single glass will not stay in there.
Jim,
I meant the thickness of the body (the sheet metal width where the gasket clamps around the body) should be the same regardless of window type. I guess that would be described as the gasket's "outside spacing/gap".

I know the gasket thickness (where the glass sits - the gasket's "inside spacing/gap") is different for the slider versus solid.

-Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Fuzzface was the first one to nail the correct answer. The factory slider used a weatherstrip with a really wide groove. If you run a solid window, you need the weatherstrip for a fixed glass.
btw - If you're looking for a used window, they're the same form 1973-1996 (and '97 F250HD/F350).
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
CountryBumkin wrote
Regarding the gasket that says "Original Sliding Rear Window" it does seem strange to note that. Why would it matter? If the body opening and thickness is the same for solid window and slider window). I know the gasket is different for each style window - but what the truck came with originally should not matter.
Why would it be odd to offer a gasket for a factory slider?
It's a piece of rubber, left out in the elements, they get old, brittle and leak as Dave noted.

Would you expect 35 year old tires to hold air and drive?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
By the way, I just replaced the rear window seal on my solid back window, and used the seal that came with my complete cab kit made by Fairchild. I don't know if they sell the rear window seal by itself, but it did fit OK. There is a little bit of a gap in one or both of the lower corners, but the original Ford seal was like that as well.

I'm only mentioning for this for brands sake, in case you can find a Fairchild seal.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I love my rear slider. I had a bullnose with a solid back glass and no A/C down in Tulsa/Skiatook area for awhile. Its hot as heck and I wished I had a rear slider then. I drove my current truck around all summer here with the slider open and it was nice. Just make sure your exhaust is plumbed well, if not, you will suck exhaust fumes into the cab when the rear slider is open.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Why would it be odd to offer a gasket for a factory slider?
It's a piece of rubber, left out in the elements, they get old, brittle and leak as Dave noted.

Would you expect 35 year old tires to hold air and drive?
Because it is being mentioned in the gasket choices for a solid window. See the first post (lower arrow). That gasket is for a Solid window (it's the comment below it that I'm saying is odd).

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting the parts list.

I think all the gaskets listed on the page (in my first post) are only for the Solid Windows (Item 1 is Solid with clear glass or solid with tinted glass) there are no Sliding Window glass choices on that page.
-Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
When I re-installed my slider, I took it completely apart, that is, removed the vertical bars on both sides of the "sliding glass and all the channels. Removed all the glass panels, clean each part individually.
Applied widow tine sheets to each glass panel THEN assembled, This way there is no cut-marks or gaps where the glass meets the gaskets.
Reassembled, and still dry/quiet 3 years later...
BTW get a steel slider latch kit, plastic ones snap off after a few times.....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks