Replacement air cleaner 302efi

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replacement air cleaner 302efi

T150vee
While my 86 302efi is in a million pieces all over the body shop, I am hoping to improve some of the weird things that I have inherited, one of them being the stock air cleaner, which has been "mouse-proofed". Does anybody have any suggestions on a custom air cleaner for the old beauty? Thanks for your input!

V from SD
1986 Flareside 302 EFI 4 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replacement air cleaner 302efi

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure how it is "mouse-proofed", but I'd recommend getting an air cleaner box with the tube that goes up to the radiator support for cool air.  You should be able to find one of those at the salvage easily.

The illustration below is what you should have, but there's a later one that instead of tube 9A624 attaching to the radiator support down low it actually lays on top of the radiator support.  So either of those would work.

Having said all that, I highly recommend you do not go with an open element air cleaner w/o the box and cool air tube.  That's because you'll be sucking hot air into the intake, and that will reduce your power.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

T150vee
Thank you Gary! Oh boy did you say salvage??? My favorite part of fixing this old truck!
 V from SD
1986 Flareside 302 EFI 4 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Have fun!

But perhaps someone has a pic of the later tube so you know what you are looking for?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI