Replaced door gasket, Need advice!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Replaced door gasket, Need advice!

GustavoFord
Good evening everybody, I am in need of some advice....

Trying to replace the door gasket recently, ordered on RockAuto (Fairchild KF3019). So far nothing especial,  just a gasket.

But....

I removed the drive side first, and put the new one, of course now the gasket is "pushing outward" the door. So I have 2 questions: First is Should I wait for the gasket adjust to the door? and if this is the case, there is a "way" to make it faster? (like applying heat, maybe???)
and Second, How is the proper way to do door alignment?, it look for me that is way better removing the fender but on the same time it will take more time.  

Any advice is appreciated, and I will add some pics, gasket and door. Thanks  
New VS Old
Gap, worse on the botton side
Ford F-150 1985, 300 i6, Manual Trasmition w/OD, 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Replaced door gasket, Need advice!

Gsmblue
I can say first hand the gasket will bed in over time. You could adjust the latch pin on the door frame a bit but then you will end up slamming the door.

Others will have better advice I am sure!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by GustavoFord
i deal with this on every truck. i have it all painted and and all the gaps as good as i can get them then put the new gaskets on and find that i need to slam the doors in hopes of them latching. ugh!
first of all you are correct that the best way to adjust the door fit is with the fenders off. i like to have this settled before moving forward (literally).without the fender on you can adjust hinges to the a pillar and the door but be certain that you have good pins at this time too.
 one slight tip is that the door gasket is made of dense closed cell foam rubber. it is a hollow tube. there is a small tube insert at the lower seam to align the butted ends. when you close the door it "compresses "the air inside the gasket. often the maker will punch a few vent holes in areas and sometimes not well and never enough. if the gasket cannot vent as quickly as you compress it then it will fight you all the way. look for these holes and you might add a couple more or even enlarge them slightly with an exacto knife. so i have heard
Reply | Threaded
|

GustavoFord
Thanks GSMBLUE and MAT IN TM,

Yes, I started to slam the door just trying to closeit hurt more to me than my truck.

I will also follow as per Mat said and trying to align "a bit better" the door, yes I notice the rubber plug on the end, I installed on the beginning but later on I removed thinking that I gonna notice any change on it. But I feel that I need the same force closing the door.

But let be honest, after 38+ years of the gasket there it was realy need the replacemnet.

I will try to do the alignment next weekend, also I received the gasket for the windows frame and some more parts that I need to replaced.

Thanks you guys, for sure I will need more of your help later on
Ford F-150 1985, 300 i6, Manual Trasmition w/OD, 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I knew smarter minds would prevail!!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by GustavoFord
I slammed BigBrother’s doors (hey, four doors) during couple of weeks, and found that they were getting more «easy» rapidly enough. Now they close with just a nice "umph", as a Rolls Royce should. I am happy to not have tried to accelerate this smoothness adaptation.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.