10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reinstalled instrument cluster - tach now acting weird

ckuske
Administrator
Hello All,

I've been cleaning out the interior of my truck - lots of dust and grime from when my dad was in construction.  So, I took most of the dash out and cleaned everything up and repainted the gauges while I was at it (and installed LED lights for the instrument cluster)

I just plugged the cluster in to make sure all the bulbs were working, and mostly success with one strange issue.  When I turn the key to "on" (not start), the tach pegs all the way to the right above 6000 RPM.  I haven't tried to start it up fully yet because obviously something is amiss.  Any ideas?  I'm afraid the PCB on the back has a problem somewhere but I'm not sure where to start.  Seems like a grounding issue.

Thanks!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Reinstalled instrument cluster - tach now acting weird

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a strange one.  And it might be a grounding issue.  Check the ground that goes to the firewall to the left of the radio.  It is supposed to ground almost everything in the cab.

Also, check to see that the traces on the circuit film are clean where the connector plugs in.  You can use a pencil eraser to clean them - gently.

And, the nuts that hold the tach in are to connect to the circuit film, so you can take them off one at a time and clean the trace below them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by ckuske
It's really easy to test the wiring in the cluster connector for proper KOEO voltages.  If they're correct, then the tach is just dying.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
That's a strange one.  And it might be a grounding issue.  Check the ground that goes to the firewall to the left of the radio.  It is supposed to ground almost everything in the cab.

Also, check to see that the traces on the circuit film are clean where the connector plugs in.  You can use a pencil eraser to clean them - gently.

And, the nuts that hold the tach in are to connect to the circuit film, so you can take them off one at a time and clean the trace below them.
I just did the LED bulbs in my cluster and before putting the bulb sockets back in I hit them with eraser.
It did turn the eraser black but did not look like it did anything to the copper.
Then I would say it did not because I had to wiggle the sockets to make better contact for them to work.

If there is a next time I will be using 600 grit sand paper as I know they will be clean then.
I wonder if that cluster plug is not making a good connection?
Then again he had to remove the gauge nuts so maybe that is the issue?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks guys.  Just a little more detail - I never actually took the tach out to paint it, I just masked it off when it was installed.  That being said, I took it out and cleaned the contacts and nuts, and still no luck.  All other lights/leds/gauges are working.

It jus bounces right to 6k RPM when the ignition is turned to on.  It was working fine before I took it out... I guess I may have damaged the PCB itself.  I guess the next step is taking an Ohm meter to to the PCB and seeing if anything odd pops out?  I'll look for that ground wire too, thanks Gary.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Steve83
Hi Steve,

I measured the C208A connector, and Pin 1 (supply voltage) and Pin 13 (tach return I think?) are both registering ~12.6 volts.  Seems like everything is as it should be.  I think that means the connector is OK?  Are there any other pins I should be checking?

Or is there a way I can test the tach by itself?
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The tach is just like any other 12V device on the truck - apply power, return, & some signals; and it should work.  It doesn't matter if it's inside the cluster, outside the cluster, or outside its own round housing.  So if it's out of the cluster, use jumper wires to power it up withOUT either signal terminal connected.  If it still jumps to 6K, you could try re-stabbing the needle, but it's probably just worn out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by ckuske
If you decide it is the tachometer itself, you may want to see if it can be repaired.  RCCInnovations (F-series tachs towards the bottom of the page)  has done great work for some of us, and he may even have a replacement if it can't be fixed after diagnosis.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for the tips everyone, I got it worked out tonight and it's acting normally again.  It was a bad ground after all...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI