Regular vs deluxe tu-tone?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Regular vs deluxe tu-tone?

Michael Cesaro
Just got my truck report back and it says it came with both regular and deluxe tu tone paint. What’s the difference between them?

1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Regular vs deluxe tu-tone?

Rusty_S85
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Michael Cesaro
It's interesting that it is worded that way, because "Regular & Deluxe Tu-tone Paint" is actually the Combination Tu-tone. See the differences below.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Rembrant wrote
It's interesting that it is worded that way, because "Regular & Deluxe Tu-tone Paint" is actually the Combination Tu-tone. See the differences below.

Yep its weird, thats what mine is but based off what I posted it makes it sound like I shouldnt have pinstriping on my flareside with its combination Tu-Tone but I do have pinstriping on mine.  I chalk it all up to just simple contradictions due to oversight in the wording/description

"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
"Regular & Deluxe Tu-tone Paint" is actually the Combination Tu-tone.
Well, it appears that you have put your finger on the solution, Sherlock.
Curious that Marti doesn't use the designated wording for that specific colour pattern.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
BigBrother-84 wrote
Rembrant wrote
"Regular & Deluxe Tu-tone Paint" is actually the Combination Tu-tone.
Well, it appears that you have put your finger on the solution, Sherlock.
Curious that Marti doesn't use the designated wording for that specific colour pattern.
Might have to do with what you got.

The snippet I posted says the following.

For Deluxe Tow-Tone it says "The accent color covers the center bodyside area and tailgate.  Includes mid-bodyside tape stripe and lower bodyside protection molding on single-rear-wheel regular cab and supercab styleside pickup models - mid and lower bodyside tape on other models.

For the Combination Two-Tone it says "Includes accent color applied to roof and Dexlue Two-Tone as described at left.  No tape or molding paint break is utilized on the roof."

I suspect your regular Two-Tone didnt have the pinstripe/molding and the Deluxe Two-Tone had it.  Still it wouldnt make sense for Marti-Report to list both Regular and Deluxe Two Tone if the difference amounts to pinstriping/molding.

I do know for the Combination Two-Tone it is wrong in where it states no tape or molding paint break is utilized on the roof.  Mine as well as the other truck posted above with Combination Two-Tone has the same style roof pinstripe to break the two tone paint line on the roof but the document states that there isnt any pinstripe or molding used.

I am curious what Marti comes up with for my truck, I plan on getting the big package for mine some day.  Im kind of curious what would be put down for the paint.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty, I dig the wheel and tire setup you have. Would you be willing the share what it all is? Thanks!
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Cesaro
I bought the standard and personal statistics report from them and I’m happy with it, got to learn some cool stuff about the truck and it’s verifiable. Also sent it to me laminated and ready to go into a binder. Looks very official.

Apparently not very many trucks got the same paint colors as mine, and they only did it in 1983. So that may have something to do with it.
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Cesaro
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
I believe it’s stock argent styled steel wheels, and the tires say P255/70R15. Here’s a link to them

https://www.tiremart.com/mastercraft-avenger-g-t-255-70r15-108t-as-a-s-all-season-tire/

Not sure if the lettering just has some protective something on it in that or not but the lettering on mine is definitely white.
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
I don't think these are the wheels I'm talking about. I'm talking about the wheel and tire setup on the blue and white flareside. They look like white wagon wheels with BFGoodwrench tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Cesaro
Haha, my bad. Didn’t see that you addressed it to Rusty.
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Powerman5K wrote
Rusty, I dig the wheel and tire setup you have. Would you be willing the share what it all is? Thanks!
The rims are American Racing white wagon wheels, I know this cause behind the beauty rings are the American Racing pin striping.  I do plan on having them sand blasted and powder coated a bright glossy white after I get the truck painted.  Im not sure what size the rims actually are, I never measured them I ended up getting them from a relative with a bullnose truck years ago that had them on there but then he got rid of the truck and I bought the rims and tires from him.

Tire wise they are currently 31x10.50-15 BFG All Terrain KO2 tires.  I used to run the Discount Tire brand Pathfinder tires in the same size but they like the KO1s that I actually prefer are discontinued now.

The center caps are the old American Racing center caps the emblem is just gone on them.  I am not a fan of brand logos on center caps so when I go to replace these as they do have dents in them from sockets taking the lug nuts off I will find something like these without logos and the recess for them or I will just source new American Racing center caps and pop the emblems off.

This is a close up of the wheel and tire combo how ever.  Dont mind the missing lugnut this was taken the next day after I had the tires installed and noticed Discount lost a lugnut.  I bought a set of new stainless steel ones and replaced the missing one and have a full set to do the others when I have the rims restored.

Michael Cesaro wrote
I bought the standard and personal statistics report from them and I’m happy with it, got to learn some cool stuff about the truck and it’s verifiable. Also sent it to me laminated and ready to go into a binder. Looks very official.

Apparently not very many trucks got the same paint colors as mine, and they only did it in 1983. So that may have something to do with it.
Nice, I was going to get the biggest package they offer for my truck myself.  I would love to get a report for my '56 but sadly they dont seem to have any reports for anything before 1960.  So I am looking at getting the $300 Elite report for my '82 F150 and for my '78 Cougar.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i would guess that your wheels are 8' wide as that would have been a common size and its a perfect fit for 31/10.5/15.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thanks for the detailed response. It will help when I'm investing in new wheels and tires. Are you 4WD or is there any type of lift installed? any rubbing/scrubbing with them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Powerman5K wrote
Thanks for the detailed response. It will help when I'm investing in new wheels and tires. Are you 4WD or is there any type of lift installed? any rubbing/scrubbing with them?
2WD, thought of switching to 4WD but I couldn't get the gears I wanted for the front Twin I Beam 4wd setup I would go with to match the 3.25:1 for the 9" I will be running in the back.

Suspension is all stock, I do plan on replacing the leaf springs in the back as I believe they are worn out from overloading when the truck was used as a work truck pulling a dumpster trailer back in the 90s.  Truck has no rake with the rear being higher than the front which makes me suspect this.  The front coil springs I haven't decided between standard coil springs from Eaton or their W/O AC HD coil springs, I am going to have the springs made taller than stock to emulate a leveling kit on the front which would allow for up to a 33" tire to be ran in the front.  The Eaton standard coil spring in the front can be had in +1" above stock or +1.5" above stock which is what the Rough Country leveling kit is listed as being.  The HD springs are only available in +1" above stock which will give a slight rake as the HD springs only have more weight carrying capacity and won't raise the truck up over the standard duty.

As far as rubbing goes, passenger side tire rubs the outside fender liner bolts at the fender when I have a passenger in the front, and I hit a good bump at 40 mph.  if no passenger riding with me the passenger side doesn't touch when hitting bumps.  With the KO2`s however the big reason I hate them and prefer the KO1s is the super aggressive shoulder.  When I make a turn with the KO2s they knobs grab the radius arm and at slow enough speeds it will actually lock the tire up.  With the KO1s they never rubbed as the shoulder wasn't aggressive.  The Discount Tire Pathfinders I had never hit the radius arm either.  it's only the KO2s which means I can't turn my truck lock to lock anymore unless I get different rims and have a bit more back spacing to move the wheel out to get some clearance which I do not want to do as my tires are currently even with the fenders and that's where I want them, I hate having tires sticking out past my fenders.

Aside from that there is no issues with stock suspension with 31x10.50-15 tires you just have to be wary of the shoulder of the tires and how aggressive they are.  Its why I am seriously contemplating going with a different brand of tire when I get my engine in since my tires are almost 7 years old now and I wont have another blow out due to old tires.  Really upsets me because I always wanted the BFG All Terrain tires and I finally got a pair of them the KO1s then when I went a year later to get the back two the KO1s were discontinued for the KO2s.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
i would guess that your wheels are 8' wide as that would have been a common size and its a perfect fit for 31/10.5/15.
Thats what I figured, 8" or 9" wide, I dont think they are 10" wide.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I had 31x10.50's on 15x10 rims on my 1980 4x4, and they stuck out about 2". Most aftermarket 15" wheels are either 8" wide or 10" wide, with 3.75" or 4" backspacing. So 15x8's usually fit pretty nicely with no "poke" outside the body. If you have 15x10's then the tire will definitely stick outside the body.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thanks for all the info folks. It will help me with my future wheel setup!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowpony
Poor guy posts about paint options and we hijack the thread with beauty rings!
I too am a fan of wagon wheels and beauty rings
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I had 31x10.50's on 15x10 rims on my 1980 4x4, and they stuck out about 2". Most aftermarket 15" wheels are either 8" wide or 10" wide, with 3.75" or 4" backspacing. So 15x8's usually fit pretty nicely with no "poke" outside the body. If you have 15x10's then the tire will definitely stick outside the body.

Mine must be the 8" wide then because mine are flush to slightly tucked under the fenders.  They don't stick out past the fender like yours are.  It's good to know because I have thought about just buying a set of new rims vs spending the money to have these sand blasted, and powder coated white.  I don't know how much money I am looking at to have someone do that for me vs buying new.  I really wished I had the equipment I would love to do my own powder coating, but I don't even think a cheapie stove would have enough room to do one of my larger rims.