Rebuilding carburetor, what is this plastic film from choke housing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rebuilding carburetor, what is this plastic film from choke housing

dirtymac
I suspect this is nothing but want to make sure of that.  I'm rebuilding a carbuertor, motorcraft 2150, that i bought used.  It had a lot of soot and other buildup and I decided to take the choke apart while cleaning it.  When I did, i found a piece of translucent film around a piece of the linkage that goes through the outside of the housing and attaches to the inside piece.  It was actually stuck in the housing when I removed the linkage and I didn't notice it.

In the image, I have it circled in red.  It is torn.  The areas circled in green are the hole in the housing where I found it and the brass piece of the linkage that it was (presumably) adhered to.

Will
--
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rebuilding carburetor, what is this plastic film from choke housing

85lebaront2
Administrator
That was a Teflon bushing for the choke shaft. A lot of the rebuilders replace them with a brass or bronze one. That involves boring a larger hole in the housing.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413