Rear wheel bearing lubrication

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rear wheel bearing lubrication

Pete Whitstone
Hi All, getting ready to put new gears in my 9 inch. While I've got the axles out, I will be replacing the rear wheel bearings also. When I pulled the axles, I found the same milkshakey stuff on the axle shafts as was in the pumpkin, so clearly the diff fluid can move up the axle tubes.

But the wheel bearings I got (Timken) are packed with grease, and the instructions also say to make sure they are packed with grease. But I'm pretty sure that grease and oil aren't supposed to mix. So I guess the question is twofold.

1 - Are the rear wheel bearings lubricated by grease, or by the diff oil?
2 - If by grease, what keeps it separate? That collar towards the inside of the axle? It didn't really look "watertight" to me.

Thanks!
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rear wheel bearing lubrication

grumpin
1. Yes, lubed by the diff oil. I was told to grease them when you replace them or are in there. My understanding is that it gives it lube until the diff oil lubes it.

2. Nothing separates it. It must mix, been working a long time.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Thanks Dane, I guess I'll go with that. It certainly didn't feel right to install them with no grease. Wonder how long it takes for the grease to all wash out into the oil.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Pete Whitstone wrote
Thanks Dane, I guess I'll go with that. It certainly didn't feel right to install them with no grease. Wonder how long it takes for the grease to all wash out into the oil.
Good and interesting question.

I was thinking about that too after I posted here. I assume when it gets warmed up the two mix better.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona