Rear tank not working!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rear tank not working!

Michael Cesaro
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to get my rear tank working again. As of right now I can only run fuel off of the front tank. When I flip the selector switch it stops pulling gas from the front tank but doesn’t start pulling it from the rear. I’m not sure what the issue might be here. Both sending units have been replaced, the selector valve has been replaced, and the selector switch has been replaced as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rear tank not working!

grumpin
If you have electric fuel pumps in the tank, can you hear it running?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Hate to be the one to say it..

Replacing a part does not mean the new part works. Can you test the rear sender?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I think you need to measure the voltage going to the selector valve.  also double check all fuses. for some reason I think the selector switch gets power from a shared fuse on some models, but I cannot say for sure. you might study the wiring in documents page.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Cesaro
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
You’re right, and I’m thinking about checking it again, but just a little while ago my selector switch went out and it defaulted to the rear tank without me knowing and ran out of gas. So as far as I know the sending unit can work.
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Cesaro
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Replaced all the fuses the other day, I’m going to buy a test light soon and check all the connections I can soon.
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This image from the EVTM shows fuse 15 should be hot in start and run.

The fuel system defaults to the rear tank if the selector valve solenoid is not energized by the brown/white wire.
Sender switching is done by the switch in your dash.

Hope this is helpful.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by Michael Cesaro
Is this a "3" port selector valve type, located on the frame? With one electrical wire going to it.

If so the rear tank is the default tank and the front tank is the secondary.

With no power at the selector valve it should default to the rear tank. If it isn't then you may have the hoses reversed at the valve.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Figure 2 on pg. 100 (above) seems to show a straight fitting and a 90° fitting.
I'm not sure you could get them reversed?  But you have a good point!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
On my 1981 there is no 90 degree fitting and the hoses are just hooked up to the valve with hose clamps. So a reversal of the hoses is extremely easy. The 1983 should be identical if not very similar.

Things did change with the in-tank fuel pump, but the 1983 with 302 should still be mechanical fuel pump only. (From the Factory anyway. )
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good to know!

I'm afraid I don't have anything to go by except the examples in the EVTM's here on the site (unfortunately there is no '82-'83-'84) so your experience is invaluable, Ralph.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Cesaro
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
Even if the hoses are reversed it should still work in theory though right. Just pulling from the wrong tank? Right now it pulls gas from the front when it’s selected but pulls nothing when it’s set to rear
1983 F-150 XLT, 2wd 302
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, but the senders are controlled by the switch so you would be reading the opposite tank.

Perhaps you should check the line between rear tank and valve. If there's a crack or hole there the pump couldn't pull fuel.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
In reply to this post by Michael Cesaro
Michael Cesaro wrote
Even if the hoses are reversed it should still work in theory though right. Just pulling from the wrong tank? Right now it pulls gas from the front when it’s selected but pulls nothing when it’s set to rear
Yes, it should work backwards, but as Ardwrkntrk states, you wouldn't see the fuel drop on the fuel gauges, when on the correct tank by the switch.

If the selector valve is defective, and hooked up backwards, it will default to the front tank. It will not pull anything from the rear tank no matter how the selector switch is switched.

If Fuel will not pull from either tank, (from the Front and Rear Tank) when the selector valve is in the rear "position":
   1: Temporarily hook the selector valve up backwards. If symptoms switch to the opposite tank, replace the selector valve.
   2: If the fuel still will not pull from the rear tank, then follow Ardwrkntrk's advice and see if there is a hole in the fuel line between the tank and the selector valve, including the fuel sender. I've seen the sump of the fuel senders spring a leak, and would only pull fuel above half a tank before. I've also seen the fuel lines plugged as well. The filter sock at the end of the sender for instance.

One of these suggestions should get you working again.