Rear gear maintenance question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rear gear maintenance question

FoxFord33
OK, so my truck is actually a '93, but by virtue of many of the pieces being the same, and because I trust you guys more than I trust the "other forum," I ask this here:

My rear is the 8.8 with 3.08 gears. There is currently NO PROBLEM with it. No gear lash, no noise, not even any U-joint problems. I am thinking of starting to tow with this (a relatively light camping trailer), and I wonder, should I even mess with anything, i.e., change the gear oil, etc.? Is there a hidden danger?

And a sub-question: The rear cover looks like it was sealed with gasket maker; is that factory, or has someone already changed it?
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rear gear maintenance question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you should change the fluid.  There's no downside and certainly an upside.

And I think Ford did use some gasket maker later, but I'm not sure when it started.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Thanks! I will be doing a drain and fill, and while I'm at it, replace the pinion seal since it's beginning to seep a bit.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
FoxFord33 wrote
My rear is the 8.8 with 3.08 gears. There is currently NO PROBLEM with it. No gear lash, no noise, not even any U-joint problems.  

And a sub-question: The rear cover looks like it was sealed with gasket maker; is that factory, or has someone already changed it?
I have an 8.8 with 3.08 gears in my '84 2wd. The ring and pinion in mine are nice and tight but the spider gears have a little bit of slop in them.

As far as I know, the 8.8 cover was sealed with RTV, but I've only taken apart two of them so I can't speak for all years. You can buy a gasket for them...it is under $10 at the autoparts shops, but it is paper thin and will need RTV anyway.

The only other thing I have to add is to make sure you get the fill plug out before you remove the cover.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I cant speak for fords long term axle life.....but.....I can for chevy. Ive got a 346,000 mile 99 Z71. Axle has NEVER had any maintenance. Not a bearing, not a seal, not a single fluid change. In fact, I just for the very first time opened the fill plug to check oil level. It was perfect, oil looked clean. If it aint broke.....I dont fix it.

The axle doesnt make any noise. Its a miracle. Ive hauled many times with this truck over the 300,000 miles its been in the family. Its hauled cars and trailers from Long Island out to Tulsa Oklahoma.

Maybe I just got lucky on this one. But I aint about to do a fluid drain and fill now.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
I agree with Ray, pull the fill plug and check fill level, if it's full and clean,  go from there.

Bill
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
FoxFord33 wrote
I will be doing a drain and fill...
You don't have to remove the cover for that.  The fluid can be suctioned out through the fill hole.  Breaking the seal on the rear cover when the axle is on the ground makes it very difficult to get it sealed again.  I wouldn't use a gasket - sealant only, and I prefer RightStuff:

FoxFord33 wrote
...replace the pinion seal since it's beginning to seep a bit.
That's deceptively complicated...  The pinion flange has to come off, which means removing the pinion nut, which is carefully & precisely torqued to get the correct pinion bearing preload.  To R&I it, you need to first MEASURE the rotating torque of the pinion gear (using a rare & expensive needle-style inch-pound torque wrench), which can't be done with the carrier & axleshafts installed.  That's the only way you'll be able re-install the nut correctly, after replacing the $5 seal.

Onion-peels...
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Woo... I didn't realize it would be so tricky. Maybe I'll suction it or just leave it alone... no LS, so all it needs is lube, and it seems to be lubed as-is.