15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rear gear - engine stops

jarek_rugby
Hi there
Today 2 times my engine stops.
It was on the parking area. I drive in, put rear gear and engine stops.
I started engine again, put rear gear and  and after few meters engine stops again.
Any ideas what it is?
Chicks dig us 'cause we play RUGBY
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Pontiac Firebird 400 ci 1973
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rear gear - engine stops

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jarek - You may have the idle set too low, which can cause it to die.  If you don't know, there's an idle speed screw on the right of the carburetor and down close to the intake and you can turn it clockwise slightly to raise the idle speed.

Otherwise, I can't think of any reason that it would die just in reverse.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jarek_rugby
Gary,
i have EFI engine .
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops!  My bad.

Then I'm at a loss.  Does your idle speed seem low?  Does the truck die when you first put it in reverse or when you touch the throttle?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jarek_rugby
it was when i touch the throttle
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Then it probably has nothing to do with Reverse.  Instead the throttle position sensor may have a glitch in it.  

You can test the TPS to see if it gives the values shown here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/diagnostics.html

And the idle speed adjustment is supposed to be here, but I'm on a hospital's wifi and it is S L O O O O W and doesn't fill in, so I'm not sure it is there: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/efi-idle-speed-adjustment.html

Reply | Threaded
|

jarek_rugby
How could i do this without tachometer ? (idle speed)
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By ear.  Get it where you like it and where it doesn't stall when going in gear, nor makes serious clunks.

But, if it is the throttle position sensor changing the idle speed won't help.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by jarek_rugby
Any inexpensive aftermarket tachometer can be temporarily wired in under the hood just for diagnosis.  It only takes 3 or 4 wires, and 2 of them (power & signal) connect to the truck's coil wires; the 3rd (ground) can be connected to the coil mount.  If the tach has a 4th (to select the number of cylinders), it usually just splices into the ground wire.
Reply | Threaded
|

jarek_rugby
Next question. How could i  test - diagnose TPS?
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You use a digital voltmeter and check the voltage as shown in pic below, which is from the the link above.  I believe that Vref is the orange/white wire, Signal Voltage will be the dark green/light green wire, and Ground is the black/white wire.

You will have to guestimate the angle, but if I'm right the TPS is going "open", meaning not providing an output or signal voltage just off idle.  So I wouldn't worry about making sure that the signal voltage is spot-on at all the angles.  Instead I would concentrate on what happens as you open the throttle.  Does the voltage increase smoothly or does it go to zero and then come back at some point?

This is Page 57 from the 1986 EVTM, and you can see the TPS at the top left.

Reply | Threaded
|

jarek_rugby
Gary,
I checked TPS. It is OK.
Now i have to check idle :)
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck.  Has it been giving you problems any more?

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by jarek_rugby
This caption has more detail about the TPS:

This caption explains the idle:

Read that whole caption before attempting to diagnose or adjust anything.  Note that it mentions the TPS as a cause for poor idle quality.
Reply | Threaded
|

jarek_rugby
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No, just this 2 times
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI