Re: Inertia switch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Praetorian
So I just bought an 85 Bullnose Bronco that I believe was converted to a 351W EFI manual with both high and low pressure pumps.  Titile says it was originally a V6.  EEC and FP relays are getting power but there is no power going to the intank pump.  In tank pump is new.  My question is:  when this rig was converted with the 351 EFI, would there need to be a corresponding inertia switch?  Or can it function without it?  I’m thinking there has to be one but I can’t find the damn thing.  Checked in all the locations under the dash and kickpanels but don’t see anything resembling one.  I’m also mediocre at best when testing electrical.  Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance!  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If it had one it would probably be where the factory EFI or hot fuel handling package had them, on the heater air duct, just to the right side on center.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Praetorian
Thanks for the response.  I’m going to look deeper when I get home today.  There has to be one or maybe it’s missing.  Tons of cut wires and disconnected connectors, loose connectors, etc.  This truck is pretty beat up and a wiring nightmare.  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, the wires on Darth were yellow and came through the firewall under the AC case.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

James191145
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Just something to check out while your in there...... There is a small ground wire (maybe 12gauge) near the battery that HAS to be connected to ground. This probably isnt your problem but it is crucial and no pump will run without it.
"Brother Charles" 1984 F-250 6.9IDI 4x4 BWT19
"Lacy" 1984 F-250 6.9IDI 4x4 ZF5
"Tommy" 1985 F-250 4x4 300ci ZF5
Reply | Threaded
|

Praetorian
Yes, you are right.  That was the last thing I checked last night.  I traced the fuel pump wires to a 5 pin relay mounted near the radiator.  Power feeds the relay from the solenoid.  The relay is getting power but looks like power is not coming out to the fuel pump wires.  I did replace the relay.  This relay btw is separate from the FP relay and is mounted on the radiator close to the battery

I did see a ground wire from the relay that had snapped off the firewall.  I was hoping this was the problem but unfortunately no.  I think my next step is to replace the fusable link wire from this relay which may have shorted out.  I’ve heard of these wires but never actually seen one inaction.  Or plan b is to just bypass that relay altogether and hook the pump wires to the solenoid?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Praetorian
So I bypassed that extra relay and spliced the hot wires together and now the pumps work.  Getting fuel to the engine it fires and keeps running when I pump the gas.  The minute I let off the gas it immediately dies.  Adjusted the idle nut and now it stays running.  Will do more checks tomorrow.  Thanks for the help!