classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rag joint elimination

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So as not to clutter up Big Blue's thread -where I first asked the question- I'm submitting this for your perusal.

I don't want to change that blasted piece of rubber again.
I know it is there to make a resilient joint that absorbs some road 'feedback' that would otherwise be annoying.

After looking for a factory solution and without investing in an expensive Borgenson steering shaft I've ordered the lower shaft from an '07-14 F150.

This has a U-joint on each end for $20.
I have welders and plenty of cutoff discs.

Wish me luck!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rag joint elimination

Rembrant
I think steering shafts are a bit of a funny story with a lot of internet dogma attached...

I'm a firm believer in getting out the  zip-cut disks and welder, for the record...lol.

You may remember that I installed an '87-'91 steering shaft in my '84 F150, and to remove the slop from it, I welded two nuts on the shaft so that I could tighten it up with set-screws, and it worked like a charm! I love it.

I read one account where the guy just leaned under the hood with his mig welder, and welding the slip joint solid to remove the slop. But what about the safety you might ask???>...It was an old F250 Plow truck with a cab that was already collapsing on the frame, so...

Anyway, I've read about a lot of guys installing that Borgeson shafts (the double jointed ones, with NO rag joint) and many of them reported not even noticing that the rag joint wasn't there...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, Cory that's good to hear.

Depending on delivery you may or may not be following the adventure this weekend.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wish you luck!  Take lots of pics, please.

As for not noticing the difference with a Borgeson, the one I just put on Big Blue is the one that was on him when I got him.  And I honestly never realized that there was no rubber biscuit in the steering linkage.  So I don't think you'll be bothered by it either.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
As far as not noticing the lack of the rag joint, I have the 1992-96/7 steering column and shaft in Darth. The only difference I noticed after installing it was a much more "precise" feeling to the steering. Road shock, really can't tell any difference at all.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413