Radiator Support-Bullnose from Bricknose?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Radiator Support-Bullnose from Bricknose?

Bulletproof250
Hi,

I looked around didn't find an answer, however that maybe the answer anyway, but I'll ask anyway.
Does a Radiator support from a 87-91 fit on a 80-86? I'd really rather not get into too much modification, otherwise I'll just work on repairing mine. The aftermarket places I've ordered parts from and been satisfied with in the past, are all out and will not back order them.

Open to suggestions

Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Radiator Support-Bullnose from Bricknose?

Ford F834
Administrator
The short answer is no, they are too different (unless you are doing a whole front clip sheet metal swap). Anything is possible with enough welding and modification, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
I'm assuming that yours is rusted out in front of the battery at the bottom.  I just repaired one for that reason and I usually do when restoring a truck. however, if you are not restoring one then it's a big job to get it out but I guess if you are considering swapping one then the job is the same. the only issue is getting the correct gauge sheet to make the repairs and being able to weld sheet well. the structural mount at the bottom is a heavier gauge than the surrounding areas and they are layered there also. metal surgery! if doing a resto. but if just patching then some angle iron and plug welds could be done. removing the core support mounts can prove to be finicky and it's the right time to replace them also as they are probably going to need to be cut out
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm sorry. I did not answer your question. no, they are not the same! the bullnose has the headlight and headlight door mounts as the headlights actually are mounted to and adjust at the core support whereas the brick has the first generation of headlamp/body panel type lenses with integral adjuster.  
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Bulletproof250 wrote
The aftermarket places I've ordered parts from and been satisfied with in the past, are all out and will not back order them.
It’s completely crazy how everything is back order these days!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
BigBrother-84 wrote
Bulletproof250 wrote
The aftermarket places I've ordered parts from and been satisfied with in the past, are all out and will not back order them.
It’s completely crazy how everything is back order these days!
I work for a hospital, and it's insane how many things are on backorder. It drives me insane trying to find out why our stuff didn't come in, and then having to have my resource manager find substitues, only to find that the substitutes are usually on backorder too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm going to say that the radiator mounts differently as well.

A Bricknose radiator attaches directly to the back of the upper radiator support with a 6x1 screw and flange washer on either side,.and the lower mounting shoulders would need a different isolator. (Gary just posted some good pics of his aftermarket Champion in big blue's thread)

It is definitely worthwhile (long term) to switch over to the braced Bricknose battery tray that fits above the fender liner, IF your tray is rotted out from wheel splash.

The later tray and brace were available from LMC last I checked.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Like Mat above, I have rebuilt the bottoms of a couple Bullnose core supports. You can bend up some 16ga sheet metal in the Vise and bolt it in place. Works great. Bend up a "saddle" for the bottom, and then bolt it higher up where you have good strong metal.

I also made lower brackets to hold the 1985-1996 style radiator as well. The original 1980-1984 Bullnose style radiators have been hard to find for a couple years now.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
good pictures. that shows the fitment well. I'm not the best at posting pics and unfortunately, I feel more not less technically challenged as I go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
mat in tn wrote
good pictures. that shows the fitment well. I'm not the best at posting pics and unfortunately, I feel more not less technically challenged as I go.
I'm taking fewer pictures these days...lol. These ones above were a pretty quick repair that I wasn't too fussy about, but they give an idea of one way to do it. I bolted them in place with 1/4" bolts up on the "legs" I made. They worked well. If I had more time (and interest) I would have welded them, but for stuff that can't be seen once installed, I don't worry all that much over. It's more function over form!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I spent three days modifying and repairing this last one. typical rust repair. that and this one was a small radiator model and seeing that repair was in order I was not worried about modifying it to hold the larger radiator by adding lower perches and widening the opening .