RPM sensor wires spliced?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RPM sensor wires spliced?

kcinga
Yes, it is 2wd… or more precise, a dually. I think it does have a spedo cable at the tail end of the transmission. It shows 2 cables and I think one on top is spedo.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
E4OD does use a speed signal in addition to RPM and TPS to decide when to shift up or down and whether to apply or release the converter clutch. Here is the transmission speed sensor (now removed) on Darth. Speed sense is now from the rear axle 120 tooth tone ring.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
85lebaront2 wrote
E4OD does use a speed signal in addition to RPM and TPS to decide when to shift up or down and whether to apply or release the converter clutch. Here is the transmission speed sensor (now removed) on Darth. Speed sense is now from the rear axle 120 tooth tone ring.
So that's a gear driven sensor on the 1989-1991 E4OD, and then from 1992-up the sensor is still there but not gear driven, is that right? I thought the piggy-back sensors on the cable drives were only for cruise control prior to 1992.

I guess that is why I was confused about the E4OD. Since the Quick4 controller can be used with both, I keep comparing the E4OD with the AOD-E or AOD-E/W (4R70W) that I have. The AOD-E only came out in 1992 and never did have a cable driven speedo. The E4OD did have a cable driven speedometer, at least from 1989-1991. So when the "VSS" moved to the rear differential in 1992, that was just for the speedometer signal, right?

I was wondering why Quick4 for the E4OD needed a "VSS" signal input if the 4R70W did not, and I guess it just comes down to the terms being used.

Don't mind me gentlemen...I'm just being confused with things I shouldn't even be involved in lol. I think I got it now, and I'll stay out of it.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
It’s been a while, but I’m attempting to pick this back up again. I called Baumann to get more information.

My 1989 E4OD transmission has an early transmission connector and an analog range sensor (8-pin, black). It has a couple of cables in rear of transmission for spedo. So, I think I have enough information to order transmission controller and wiring harness.

I’m told that I‘ll need a throttle (TPS) sensor as well (Baumann doesn’t sell this part) on injection pump. As far as I can tell, I don’t see one on my 6.9 diesel. He said it should be on passenger side with 3 wires going into it. If not there, I would have to order the part for 7.3 diesel and install on my 6.9 diesel. Is this correct?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One of the early pictures shows a TPS sensor on the side of the injection pump. FWIW, both Ford and GM used Roosamaster injection pumps on their Diesels and GM used either mechanical throttle control (THM200, THM700R4) or vacuum and an electric downshift (THM350, THM400) Ford used vacuum on the C6 with a mechanical downshift or full mechanical (AOD), then went electronic controls.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413