Question.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question.

AndrewF250
Hey guys new guy here. So my truck is a 1984 f250 6.9 idi 4x4, and when i let my truck sit for a while and let all the oil drip down to the bottom of the pan, i check the dipstick and see that there is oil all over the stick. So i wipe it, put it back in and then i pull it out again and there is little to no oil coming out of the pan. When i put it back in and see that there is not any type of oil on the dipstick i run it again then let it sit, repeat and nothing changes. Any help would help, thankssss!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Question.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Andrew!  

I'm not certain of drain back issues with the IDI.
Maybe Jonathan or someone better versed in them can answer.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We have a thread going discussing counterfeit oil filters with drain back problems.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
good morning. I'm not sure that I am fully understanding the process that you are using to check the oil. are you doing this after recently doing an oil change? if you turn the engine off and let it sit for five minutes (approx. the amount of time it takes to fill the fuel tank) and check the oil. wipe the stick clean then replace and check it. this is a "real world" method of determining what the engine has to work with. if at any time you can check the level with the engine off and get nothing then the oil is low!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by AndrewF250
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by AndrewF250
AndrewF250 wrote
Hey guys new guy here. So my truck is a 1984 f250 6.9 idi 4x4, and when i let my truck sit for a while and let all the oil drip down to the bottom of the pan, i check the dipstick and see that there is oil all over the stick. So i wipe it, put it back in and then i pull it out again and there is little to no oil coming out of the pan. When i put it back in and see that there is not any type of oil on the dipstick i run it again then let it sit, repeat and nothing changes. Any help would help, thankssss!
Long ago, when I was kid, my Dad (who thought that the only maintenance a car needed was to add fuel) hit this kind of problem.
Oil on the dip stick, no oil at the drain.
The garage pulled out the pan, and a massive black jelly dropped on the ground in a big “flotch” sound!
It appeared that the oil turned in jelly, with just enough liquid on top for the dip stick.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
there is a small chance that all of the drain back holes inside the engine are clogged due to degrade oil and very little is left in the pan.. being a diesel is very possible to not be able to discern ignition knock from rod knock. what does the oil pressure say?