Question on authentic Ford accessories

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question on authentic Ford accessories

Vic Roma
Do all Ford accessories have the Ford brand stamp, or are there Ford accessories that come in boxes that bear the name of the third party manufacturer?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Question on authentic Ford accessories

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
All Genuine Ford parts will bear an engineering number, NOT the actual part number.
The part number will be on the box, bag, wrapping or whatever type of container it comes in.

There is Motorcraft....
But from what I have seen there will be subtext in the MPC giving the equivalent Motorcraft number for things like switches and valves.

There is also FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts)
Gary and I were just discussing this re: the 460 waterpump backing plate.
Different numbers, exact same piece.
While Steve83 had a meltdown over this, it is absolute fact.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
While Steve83 had a meltdown over this, it is absolute fact.
Steve also had his own beliefs as to where NOS Ford parts came from, and argued vehemently against any other notions.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It was gsmblue's FRPP plug wires that started the drama.
Let's not revisit any of that....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Vic Roma wrote
Do all Ford accessories have the Ford brand stamp, or are there Ford accessories that come in boxes that bear the name of the third party manufacturer?
I agree with Jim.  But I don't know for sure about the boxes having the manufacturers name.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
This all makes sense but this example explains what I meant.

I found this item on eBay,

It looks like an OEM Ford part, but the contents show a non-Ford branded part,

Is this typical? Do all Ford-branded OEM boxes contain Ford brand stamped parts, or is it common to have contents from  different manufacturers?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Misuse of intellectual property

It may fit Fords, but it's not a Ford product.

Go have a look at Scatch's thread re: XLT push bumper trim.
You'll see even more of it...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
What I thought. So, Ford parts are *always* stamped with the Ford oval and or engineering etc. part numbers?

The reason I ask:
An NOS part I bought recently came in an unopened box, yellow tape it was so old, but the box certainly looked unmolested in any way. When I opened the box, the item was neatly wrapped as you’d expect in a new, factory made/issued part, but nowhere did it say Ford. Only an unknown brand on one prominent location, and that was it. I was thinking I’ve been duped but it looks too neat and new to be a shady swap that could very well be legitimate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Vic Roma wrote
I found this item on eBay,

It looks like an OEM Ford part, but the contents show a non-Ford branded part,

Is this typical? Do all Ford-branded OEM boxes contain Ford brand stamped parts, or is it common to have contents from  different manufacturers?
Couple comments...

I just ordered a new Motorcraft DY-893 Ignition Module from Amazon as many others have, and while I haven't received it yet, there are a lot of comments stating that the module itself has no Ford Motorcraft markings on it of any kind. It's not that it's necessarily a different brand...but it's not marked in any way.

It does come in a Motorcraft bag, or in some cases a box apparently, but the modules themselves are blank as it were. I did see where one guy said that he contacted Ford and they did confirm that they are actual Motorfcraft parts and no they are not marked. Take that with a grain of salt.

Anyway...the other thing is,...

I've seen several Ebay auctions where they have part X sitting next to an original Ford box. Many times you will see in the auction comments that the box is not included in the sale. There are a couple reasons for this, but one of them is that they are selling new aftermarket parts listed as NOS Ford parts. One of them I have seen with some regularity is Flareside tail lights.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
I see those eBay/Amazon listings too. I check for “manufacturer” in item descriptions or when in doubt, I will ask the seller. But in my case, I was the first to open the box. Seller did not even open it to take photos, which I liked as it ensured there was no tampering. But it was after opening that made me question the item’s authenticity, or maybe  I stumbled across a rarely occurring Ford parts phenomenon.