classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question about kick down linkage

Hamm0ckjames
Howdy Again,
My Apologies, You probably have already covered this question before. But here goes, As some of you know I'm installing an Edelbrock 4bbl intake manifold on my 1986 F150 with the 2bbl  351w. And soon to be perched upon top of that will be the nefarious Quadrajet, on which a kick down linkage connection will either have to be fabricated or made to fit from a donor carb by myself.
However the idea of a kick down cable has been offered up, of which I have no experience with. So I am looking for a bit of feedback from y'all as to which might be the better option. Since the linkage arm has been around for as long as the C6 has, I presume, I would imagine it would be the way to go since the designers created it in the first place. But, and there's always one of those,,,
Since those engineers have retired and the next generation of thinkers came up with the cable component, I'm at a loss as to which of the two would offer better performance and bank for the buck. So if you please, offer up some of your expertise, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you,,,,,
New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Question about kick down linkage

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the stock kickdown linkage can be modified to fit basically any carb.  I haven't done it as I just left the linkage off and pulled the shift lever down when I wanted to shift.

Anyway, here's what the parts catalog shows:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hamm0ckjames
You do not seem to have seen some of the Mustang systems, they had a short piece of flexible cable from a lever on the throttle shaft on the firewall to the downshift lever on the side of the C4 transmission. The C6 uses the same style.

Since you choose to run a Generous Motors carburetor, you have, as I see it two options, fabricate a floating lever that will actuate the existing downshift rod, or, since many Quadrajets have a "tail" on the bottom of the throttle lever, it can be used to pull a rod, cable or otherwise forward and the short outer lever from a Mustang application that used the pull cable can be actuated by it.

The third option would be to use a solenoid from a power deck lid release to operate the downshift lever and a switch the throttle linkage contacts at WOT to activate it. GM did this on the Turbo-Hydramatics rather than use a mechanical system.

Be glad you aren't dealing with an AOD, their throttle system is very sensitive to adjustments.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Thanks for the reply guys, And no I am not familiar with the mustang set up. I do have several donor carbs I can rob parts off of to fab up a floating lever,  that was pretty much the plan from the start. But a buddy of mine brought up the cable idea and I thought I should get some advice from some guys that have used it over the rod. My plan is to keep is simple, and dependable.
It will be cheaper to stay with the rod set up I suppose, but I'm just considering other options to see which might be better in the long run. My intake manifold is in the mail, I should see it in a few days. Then the fun begins,,,,,,lol
New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".