classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pulling the trigger

FrazerJames
Hi Everyone!

I’ve been spending the last 2-3 going through an 85 Mercedes diesel wagon and couldn’t have done it without the large community supporting novices like me. So I’m VERY happy to see this awesome forum so active.

I live in St Louis, MO in one of the last truly Little Italy neighborhoods with my wife, 7yo and a huge garage.

Here’s where I’m at: In the market, generally, but have my eye set on an ‘83 base model Bronco with a 300 I6 in copper red. It’s probably overpriced, but it’s been with 1 owner and in remarkable condition cosmetically both inside and out. Where it gets tricky is that it has only 120K miles on it, but sat garaged for 12 years (the owner is nearing 90yo). A neighbor has agreed to sell it for him, threw some non-rotted tires on and got it running. Apparently it was running like a top “handles like it’s brand new”, but for some reason they decided to bypass the smog pump. Since then it seems to have an issue where it’s struggling when going uphill - they believe it’s a vacuum issue or that it needs the fuel tank flushed (they replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines).

Anyway, it’s a beautiful Bronco and I need to decide whether to jump on it. They’re asking over $10K...

I realize it will probably need any rubber replaced. Probably some upgrades to be had. I’m also concerned how well the engine can handle highway speeds. Any insight there will be great. I know it’s not a speed demon (neither is the Merc Diesel). I guess I’m looking for a good half-time speech here. LOL.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pulling the trigger

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and with your permission we can add you.

Little Italy in STL?  Our kids used to live at Tower Grove Park, across the street from Ices, and we've been to and through The Hill many times.  Is that where you live?

On the Bronco, I think it sounds like a good one.  According to our page at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/Applications that Bronco should have the C6.  That's a robust transmission but not good for MPG since it doesn't have an overdrive and the torque converter doesn't lock up.

As for the lack of power, I think that the truck may have the EEC-III system that controls engine timing and even the air/fuel ratio.  And depending on what all they did they may have triggered limp-home mode on the ECU.  Basically in that mode the ECU locks the timing to base or initial, meaning there is no advance.  That kills power and economy.

You can covert from what I suspect is the TFI ignition to the more simple DS-II ignition with not much trouble and that will eliminate the ECU.  Or, if what they did can be put back, you may get it going again.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I missed the highway speeds question.  The Broncos typically came with 3.50 gears, and with the C6 you'll be turning ~2750 RPM at 65 MPH.  It should do fine on the highway.  However, that's well above the "sweet spot" in RPM for the 300 six, which is about 1000 RPM lower, so it isn't going to get stellar MPG.  And it may not want to run a whole lot faster as that engine doesn't like to spin all that fast - it is a great engine but is a low RPM/high torque unit.

I've not driven a 300/C6 combo so I really can't say.  Perhaps someone else can?  I know Matthew/Dorsai has a pickup with the 300/C6 combo, as outlined here, but he has 2.75 gears.

Maybe you need to figure out what gears that Bronco has?  Decode the certification label on the page at Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label.  Or go directly to Documentation/Specifications/Axle Ratios.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Hi Gary!

Yep, I’m on The Hill! Right in the center of it. Across from DiGregorios Italian Market to be exact! Love this neighborhood, but Tower Grove is great too!

Interesting thoughts on the ECU. Does the “limp home” reset? The seller says they’ll drive for 5 minutes, it’ll start to fall on its face, and then if they pull over and wait a bit, it’ll drive normally again.

I’ll find out about those gears!
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  We used to drive close to your house as we took Shaw through the neighborhood.

No, the limp-home mode won't reset.  That sounds like a fuel problem.  I had a similar problem when the rubber hoses turned to mush on two of my trucks.  Apparently the old hose material doesn't like ethanol and in one case it was so sticky that I balled the hose up and it stayed that way.

Rubber was used between the tank and the hard line on the frame, and again from the hard line to the fuel pump.  If it gets porous, as mine did, it'll let air in and that kills the vacuum that the pump uses to move gas.  But it doesn't do it instantly, it takes time and I got about 20 minutes of driving before it couldn't pump any more gas.

I bought new fuel line in bulk that is ethanol rated and changed out all of the hoses.  Problem solved.

That may not be your problem, but it might be.

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
The seller says they replaced the pump and the lines, but maybe they didn’t get all of them... He suggested that a fuel tank flush might fix it, but I’m not so sure...

I’ve been going through that thread on the truck. Now I’m getting psyched!

Are you near St Louis still?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
And I forgot to say, yes, please feel free to add me to the map!
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Also, a few terrible pics of the engine for reference. This will be the first gasoline engine I’ve worked (carbureted too) so I’m starting to dive into the specifics.  If there’s anything notably off for those who know these just based on the pics, I’ll know I’m probably beyond my initial skill level. I’m great at following directions, but not very good at identifying or troubleshooting.

1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FrazerJames
No, we are basically in Tulsa.  It was our son and his family that lived there.  But they moved about three years ago.

I don't think a fuel tank flush will fix it.  I'm guessing they didn't replace the hose from the tank to the hard line.  It is a pain to get to, but you should be able to lower the tank via the straps enough to get to it.  Or put a board and a floor jack under it to lower it just enough to reach up there.

Having said that, the TFI ignition might be able to break down with heat and give a poor spark.  It is notorious for failing due to heat, but I think the failure mode is usually from "on" to "off" rather than a weak spark.  But you could test for that when it fails by checking for a weak, yellow or red, spark.

If it is the TFI then you need to decide your path forward.  As said, they were notorious for failing due to heat.  Ford later moved the module to the fender to get it away from the heat of the engine, so you could do that.

But, that would still use the ECU and feedback carb, assuming you have them, and you may want to eliminate them and go with a non-feedback carb and DS-II ignition.

I'm just laying out options so you don't run off and throw money at it and find you might have wanted to go a different way.

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
I think I’d definitely upgrade to the DS-II and non-feedback carb. At this point, I just need to get it home. It’s 2 hours away so I’m weighing my options.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Just heard back that they did replace the rubber line from the top of the tank all the way to the fuel pump. So at this point I suppose it could be TFI ignition that I’ll have to test for. Time to dig into Ford ignition systems! LOL
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, get it home and then figure out what you have and what you should do to fix it.

But in the pic below I think I see a TFI module on the distributor.  It is an aluminum thing, and if you have it you won't have one of these on the driver's fender liner:

As for the pics, you've run afoul of the poor pic uploading s/w on this forum.  How to use it is explained in Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.  But I took the liberty of editing your pic and show it here:

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Thanks for the pic adjustment! I did skim that FAQ on image uploads, but honestly thought it was for folks who might not be familiar with forums. Sorry about that.

In the meantime I’ve found out from the seller that the smog work around was done before the truck sat for 12 years and ran fine before it was parked. All rubber lines from the tank to the pump were replaced. No rust or leaks on the hard line (although I did find a thread somewhere about cracks in the hardline leading to this same problem). He strongly believes that the tank needs to be cleaned out because the fuel gauge isn’t working. Do you think that makes sense?

I might try driving it with the cap off to see if that helps get fuel flowing.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's a "sock" on the end of the pickup in the tank.  Some have said that they get clogged and cause problems like this.  The solution is supposedly to put compressed air on the line just before it gets to the fuel pump and if the sock is clogged it'll get blown off the end of the tube in the tank.  The socks are very coarse mesh, so they only keep out really big things.  I like to run a clear plastic filter just ahead of the fuel pump to catch anything coming from the tank, and think that would be the way to go instead of flushing the tank.

As for the gauge, the sending units in these trucks are pretty bad about failing, especially if not used for a long time as the moisture in the tanks attacks the resistor and slider in the sending unit.  I think the gauge problem is separate from the engine problem, so would try to address them individually.

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Gary, you know your stuff! Thanks so much. I can probably just use the pre filters from the Mercedes. They keep the big stuff out the same way.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are lots of people on here that know far more than I do.  I'm just the "research librarian" - I usually know where I put things.  

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
FrazerJames wrote
Just heard back that they did replace the rubber line from the top of the tank all the way to the fuel pump. So at this point I suppose it could be TFI ignition that I’ll have to test for. Time to dig into Ford ignition systems! LOL
I might get slapped for this. Scrap the stock ignition and go with an MSD 6A. I've used MSD boxes on everything from race cars to street cars. I put one on the 351c in my 83 F100. 100% improvement.

I see you're from St. Louis. I'm from North County. Grew up in the Ferguson/Dellwood area. Went to Hazelwood Central and North Count Tech. I live in Mt. Vernon, MO these days. My music room (guitars and records. You know, those round, flat vinyl things) is a K-SHE shrine! Miss the Lou.
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Hey, I’m up for all suggestions! Thanks for the recommendation!

I’m also a music lover and have a collection of those round things! Kshe isn’t what it used to be sadly, but STL is indeed a great town.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
From the picture I can see they've already installed a filter before the pump. It looks rather dark(dirty) though... And if it's only recently been done, then the tank might be nasty?
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Ah! Is that what that brown thing is in the line? I suppose sitting for 12 years could do that... I wonder if I just drop the tank and clean it out, if that’ll do it.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6