Protecting "Patina" Paint

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Protecting "Patina" Paint

Quarterwave
The hood on my truck is weathered. While I personally like the finish and have no plans to paint it, I would like to protect the exposed metal.

I've used polish before but with the storms and weather down here in South Florida (truck lives outside), it's washed off in less than a month.

I then tried using the "Patina Preserver" from Eastwood, but that dried in a semi-gloss that I really didn't like. Plus, it was gone in about 4-5 months.

I'm now using boiled linseed oil and while it's ok, when it rains, it runs all over my new, chrome grill.

That being said, does anyone know of any other products that will adhere to the panel, protect the panel and come in a gloss finish?

AFAIK, clear coat is not an option, as it will not bond to the exposed metal and will start to flake off and turn white in a couple of months, which would require a complete re-finish of the hood.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Protecting "Patina" Paint

PetesPonies
There are many options. For a true patina look, you don't want gloss. However, the way to handle it the best is using a clear base paint, followed by a true top coat clear. I would suggest using a satin clear, for a true realistic patina look. But that choice is yours. The clear base is often used to apply pearls or flakes, etc. But it is a base, so with the same adhesion. Then the clear.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
This post was updated on .
Very interesting Pete, thanks for sharing.

Can you recommend any brands and send links? I'm having a hard time finding "clear base paint" when I Google it - most searches are coming up with gray primers and colored etch primers.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Yeah, they are called Intercoat Clear. Here's a Google of them.  https://www.google.com/search?q=intercoat+clear&hl=en&authuser=0&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiS27WMqdTjAhXd8OAKHaJDC8gQ_AUIESgB&biw=1422&bih=951
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
There's a guy on YouTube (Mustie1) who has a 1959 VW Kombi pickup called Krusty(?)

He uses a blend of beeswax and linseed oil to protect it.
It has a little bit of sheen but it's not obtrusive.

New Hampshire winters are pretty rough.

Of course, once you go down that road there's no turning back.

https://youtu.be/bLa2v9ydEWA
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.