classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Power but no cranking

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - That sounds like wet and heavy snow.  Wow!

As for the connector, there are 4 wires to the connector on the C6 I have.  But you want the two red/light blue wires as shown below.

Also, fords4life has just posted a question regarding pulling the lower manifold and maybe you could answer that since you've just done that?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thanks!

So all I need to do is stick pins, one pin in each correct wire, jump the pins, reconnect power and turn the key.
Does not sound to difficult.  

I'm assuming that if jumping the two pins cranks the engine, the safety switch is bad. Correct?
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that will work.  But, if jumping the pins causes the engine to crank it might not mean that the switch is bad.  It might mean that the linkage isn't properly adjusted.  That's a long shot as you have tried to crank it while moving the shift lever and it didn't, and it should have as you passed through Neutral.  But there is still the possibility that it is mal-adjusted.

HOWEVER, if the engine cranks while you are under the truck and the transmission is in gear it might run over you!  So please ensure the truck cannot move.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Hi Gary -

It was in fact, the linkage after all.  

I don't know the name of the part, but it's a rod that goes from a hole in the safety switch to another hole in part of the gear shift linkage.  This rod came dislodged, I believe when I raised the transmission.  In order to put that rod back in place I needed to disconnect a few bolts to the linkage.  Not too difficult.  

However, everything seems out of whack at the moment with regard to the gears.  It does crank in Park, but will not crank in Neutral.  I'll have to play with it a bit to get it right, but I don't think it is any big deal.  

I think that if I get it into neutral and make adjustments on the safety switch, I can get it to work correctly.
Isd that the way to go, or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks!!

Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  My approach is to loosen the linkage and put the transmission in Park and then the shift lever in Park.  Tighten the linkage and check to see that it seems to go through the gears.  But, if the pointer on the column is off and yet everything else is fine there's an adjustment for the pointer.

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thanks! Will do!