classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Power Steering Return Rubber Hose Size?

Quarterwave
Hi guys,

Before I tackle the power steering/steering box upgrade, I'd like to try and stop the leak that I believe is coming from the rubber part of the return power steering hose.

That being said, what size hose do I need for it?... and I imagine a high-pressure variant is needed, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Power Steering Return Rubber Hose Size?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't really under pressure, so doesn't need to be a high-pressure hose.  But, the catalog gives part numbers and no specifications so I can't help you that way on the size.  If no one else can I may get out to the shop tomorrow and can see what I can figure out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Ok, thanks Gary.

I think I have some left over 5/16" trans cooler hose from when I was sorting out the trans cooler line leak a few months ago, which if it's the right size, I could put to use.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I have just received a NOS P/S cooler with the rubber hose. It is marked 3/8" power steering return.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - I've forgotten, is the cooler in the supply or return hose?  Regardless, they are both probably the same size.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Metal cooler tube inside return hose.
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Ok, so is it safe to use 3/8" hose or does it need to have a metal tube inside the hose?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - thanks.

Quarterwave - There are two versions, as shown below.  One without the cooler and one with.  But both have metal lines, and I believe the hose goes onto barbs on the line and then has a crimped keeper over it.

So, if the hose is leaking then you'll have to cut the keeper off, get the hose off the tube, and then replace the hose and use a hose clamp.  However, I've not done that so I'm not 100% sure that's the way it works.  Perhaps someone else knows?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The one I have uses hose clamps on each end of the rubber hose.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  I don't think I've seen one of those.  But, that certainly simplifies changing the hose.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Look at #2334 on the drawing for the cooler. Doesn't that look like a hose clamp?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By golly it does.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
The hose I have is the long, "cooler" type of hose, but there is definitely no in-line cooler on my system.

I have the "3A713" type hose and can confirm that it definitely has clamps.

The issue is that I actually bought brand new send/return lines from Rock Auto a couple of months ago, and after matching the parts with their website make/model search feature, when I got the parts and tried to install them, the fitting was WAY smaller than the one it was replacing.

I couldn't find an alternative, so I had to send it all back at my cost and have since not been able to find a replacement with the larger fitting.

From what I can tell, everything on my truck (well, the things I have not replaced) is factory standard-issue.

Any links to parts would be really appreciated as I've searched.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Quarterwave wrote
The hose I have is the long, "cooler" type of hose, but there is definitely no in-line cooler on my system.

I have the "3A713" type hose and can confirm that it definitely has clamps.

The issue is that I actually bought brand new send/return lines from Rock Auto a couple of months ago, and after matching the parts with their website make/model search feature, when I got the parts and tried to install them, the fitting was WAY smaller than the one it was replacing.

I couldn't find an alternative, so I had to send it all back at my cost and have since not been able to find a replacement with the larger fitting.

From what I can tell, everything on my truck (well, the things I have not replaced) is factory standard-issue.

Any links to parts would be really appreciated as I've searched.

Do you have any pictures of the steering box in your truck? Something isn't right...that same box was used on every F150-up for 17 years.

What are the part numbers of the hoses you sent back?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Hi Rembrandt,

I'll have to dig up the information - it's dark when I get home from work, so it will most likely have to wait until the weekend to take pics.

Will post here with an update as soon as I can.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
The return line isn’t under much pressure. Some 3/8 fuel hose and clamps are all you need... just be careful with the plastic barb on the reservoir of your pump. The get brittle and you might want to slit the old hose if it does not pull off easily.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Usually, it's the reservoir that's leaking, and it just runs down the return hose, making it LOOK like that's the source.  So I suspect that changing this hose won't slow down his leak.
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
If that is the case, is there a way to fix the reservoir or is a new/replacement unit needed?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would depend on where the leak is from.  What I remember is that the case is all plastic, so if it has cracked you may have a hard time getting any glue or epoxy to stick.  You'd have to clean it really well and make sure that no power steering fluid comes back through the crack before the glue sets.

It may not be worth it if you are upgrading.  But, how bad is the leak?

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
Quarterwave wrote
...is a new/replacement unit needed?
No matter what you find, I'd swap to the Saginaw pump.  Every time.  I'm about to do it to my '95 F150.