classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powder Coating

Danny G
OK

You guys are killing me with all this good looking powder coated stuff.

What advice do you have for someone who has never done it? What equipment do you recommend? Budget vs non budget options etc.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Coating

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm using the original Eastwood gun, but if I were buying now I'd go with their dual voltage gun, both shown here.  However, you should consider the starter kit.  But there are other brands, including Harbor Freight, and I don't know how much better or worse they are.

Here are some things you'll need:

High temp tape: Use this in masking where you don't want powder, like bearing races or where seals go, and to hold aluminum foil in place when masking with it

High temp plugs and caps: The silicone-based plugs and caps are essential in keeping powder out of places it shouldn't be

Wire: Their stainless wire works nicely to hang things from, but any bare wire w/o any oil on it would work

Media blasting: You really have to have parts CLEAN in order to powder coat them, and I find media blasting them to be the best way to clean them - after you've gotten the grease and oil off first

Gloves: You can't touch the parts once they are clean, so the thin throw-away gloves are very handy

Brake cleaner: Media blasting will leave dust on the parts that air doesn't seem to take off, so I spray the parts with brake cleaner

Oven: I got by very well for quite some time with a $35 kitchen range from a second-hand store.
 That can work for intake manifolds, valve covers, etc but won't work for a transfer case.  I now have a used but commercially-made oven that is 3' x 3' x 6' tall.

Compressed air: It only takes ~6 psi to waft the powder onto the parts, so any compressor will work

Powder: I'm still using Eastwood's powder, although I've read there is better and cheaper powder
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I have the Eastwood dual voltage gun and have been very happy with it.
I tried some other brands of powder but never liked them so I have stuck with Eastwood only.
Harbor Freight has stainless wire just like Eastwoods.
I tried the green bottle (eco-friendly, low voc, or something) from Walmart once and kept getting moisture trails so I only use the red full strength - and a lot of it.
Using a Craigslist full size electric oven. This works for the vast majority of parts on these trucks. Someday I might get a big oven like Gary has but until then I take the large stuff to a local shop. Usually if it's too large for the oven it's a pain to handle in my blasting cabinet also.
Disposable gloves are a must.
The silicon plugs are great - just remember to remove at least one end from a tube before cooking or you'll panic when you hear the pop

Let us know if you go for it. It's addicting.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
kramttocs wrote
I have the Eastwood dual voltage gun and have been very happy with it.
I tried some other brands of powder but never liked them so I have stuck with Eastwood only.
Harbor Freight has stainless wire just like Eastwoods.
I tried the green bottle (eco-friendly, low voc, or something) from Walmart once and kept getting moisture trails so I only use the red full strength - and a lot of it.
Using a Craigslist full size electric oven. This works for the vast majority of parts on these trucks. Someday I might get a big oven like Gary has but until then I take the large stuff to a local shop. Usually if it's too large for the oven it's a pain to handle in my blasting cabinet also.
Disposable gloves are a must.
The silicon plugs are great - just remember to remove at least one end from a tube before cooking or you'll panic when you hear the pop

Let us know if you go for it. It's addicting.
I think I am going to go for it. I have a few things that must come first.

Pouring a concrete pad in the back of the house and building a shop/shed so I can empty out my over stuffed garage and temporary shed. Im designing and building it so I will lay it out exactly how I want it. Sounds like I may need to wire a outlet for a cheap oven off craigslist. Looking to build this thing 10wx16d with a skillion roof slanted away from the house one wall 8ft the other 10ft so I should have a good amount of overhead as well.

The concrete pad will extend along the back of our house from our screened in porch, then wrap around and up to the garage. The back of the house will get a pergola that meets up where the shed comes out at. Should be pretty nice. Its my way of getting my wife to buy in on my little shop lol.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew