classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Powder Coat Question?

FuzzFace2
kramttocs wrote
Little late to the discussion but anything metal that will fit in my oven off Camano I've coated. And anything too big I've had a local shop do. I had the same question and I was told jb weld would work but it all depends on thickness. As Gary said, if it can't conduct it won't stick although gravity will help out if lucky. So you may have to increase the current on the gun to pull through the jb weld. Same goes with multiple primer coats. Since you're talking about a bumper I assume you are having a dedicated shop do it? If so they will likely have some tricks where you don't have to do a thing but point it out to them.

Let us know what comes of it.
After checking with 3 different places to get the bumpers wrapped in chrome, only 1 would try in a brushed stainless wrap because they thought the chrome would get scratched when applying it.
That 3rd shop that would do the brushed stainless gave me another person to call, I was not given an address apt. only and my hours don't work well with that.

So I am going to paint them. I was looking for spray can(s) for a bright silver and 1 place only had 1 can but ........ they also had QT's of pre-thinned in that color.
It is Dupli-Color Paint Shop BSP202 Brilliant Silver and I will clear coat it with their clear of the same pre-thinned clear, it is a Lacquer paint.

With the powder coat there was worry of what I could use to fill grind marks, ect. that the powder would work with then you had the heat of the over and the last was $$ to do both the front & rear bumpers?
To have them wrapped at the 1 place was $250 to $300 IIRC don't know what powder coat would of been?

I had a small air filter lid done in powder chrome to see how it would turn out and it came out OK but not like chrome. That was OK with me as the lid was not chrome from the factory but nickel plated and it came out close to that. It also had some rust pitting and that did show up and why I know the bumpers needed to be smooth.

Think the Dupli-Color was $50 for the a QT of paint & clear. I have a lot of heavy coats of primer to fill the grind marks and been outside backing in the sun now for a few weeks.
I will not paint them till after the truck is painted this way when done I can install them to keep them from getting marked up.

When I get them done I will post pictures in here so other can see if that is how they want to go, paint, powder coat or wrap if they can find someone that will do it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Powder Coat Question?

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I have used both. Springfield did all my stuff on my sons Mustang. Crumps did my 16 foot trailer. I had a lot of stuff done on the truck in Joplin. Headers frame bumpers. It will be a while before I get back to the truck.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Gotcha. I have been taking my large stuff to Crumps and have been very happy. Just as much with the staff as with the coating.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4

Yes I have been dealing with crumps since the early 90’s as a mechanic. Darren and them are good people. What do you do for work?

Bruce Scott
Customer Service
Technical Service Dept.
(417)874-7200 ext.28209
[hidden email]
Ozark Automotive/O'Reilly Auto Parts

From: kramttocs [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] [mailto:ml+[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 9:58 PM
To: Bruce Scott <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Powder Coat Question?

Gotcha. I have been taking my large stuff to Crumps and have been very happy. Just as much with the staff as with the coating.

Scott
Daily driver: 'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
Work truck: 'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/T18 - Gin Pole
Various parts trucks

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Powder-Coat-Question-tp28492p34368.html

To unsubscribe from Powder Coat Question?, click here.
NAML

Stop, Look, and Think. This email is from an external source.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by kramttocs

I checked out your website.

Bruce Scott
Customer Service
Technical Service Dept.
(417)874-7200 ext.28209
[hidden email]

Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 9:58 PM

Scott
Various parts trucks

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Powder-Coat-Question-tp28492p34368.html

NAML

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Mine? I don't believe I have one. I mean I did have a myspace page with some pretty cool css on it but...
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4

I just went to the scottmark .com

Bruce Scott
Customer Service
Technical Service Dept.
(417)874-7200 ext.28209
[hidden email]

Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 10:10 PM

Mine? I don't believe I have one. I mean I did have a myspace page with some pretty cool css on it but...

Scott
Various parts trucks

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Powder-Coat-Question-tp28492p34371.html

NAML