Possable to run two oil pressure gauges?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possable to run two oil pressure gauges?

reamer
I got a digital oil pressure gauge, but I also want to keep using the stock dash-gauge.
I have a 351, and I believe it has a 2 or 3 inch "extension tube" screwed into the block, that the original sender screws into that. I understand 351's commonly have low pressure right from new, and machining during a re-build can open passages and increase pressure.

Is there a "dual" extension tube out there so I can run both the old sender (to the dash gauge) and the new sender to the digital gauge?
Thanks
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Possable to run two oil pressure gauges?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can use standard plumbing tees to run two sending units.  But, some of the earlier trucks had both a gauge sending unit and one for the computer, and they had an extension that had an opening for each sending unit.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Interesting! mines a Carbed 351 but don't think this one had a smart-enough computer at the time, and currently I am completely computer-less! (unless you count the Duraspark a computer) then I'm in.

Did Ford make a "dual port" tube with the all important part number?
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm tempted to say "Yes, they did."  But then you'd ask what it is, so.....  

But, it looks like finding one new may be difficult.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Got a hit with that number, NOS Parts has one... will call tomorrow and see if it is a "dual port" type.
Thanks Gary
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome.  But, if it is that exact part number it should have two ports - as shown.  There are others, that I didn't include, with different part numbers that don't have two ports.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
A tee for two senders is common. They are available aftermarket, unless you must have an original.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by reamer
I am sure they are 1/4" NPT . So any combination of things are possible.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Mine has two outlets and I broke the brass threaded end off while Changing fuel pump. The bell shaped sending switch is still good. Is that the one that goes to the gauge? The broken one has a 3 prong wiring connector that I assume goes to the eecIII computer, if not please let me know.
 Thanks Randy
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can't find any oil pressure switch shown in the 1986 EVTM for a 351 with mechanical fuel pump. The bell shaped one is for the gauge.

What color are the wires to the 3 prong connector?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Looks like red-yellow stripe,gray-white dashes and a white or tan with red stripe.
 Honestly they all look black due to age and location so I had to clean w/alcohol and rag.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BeagleRock
Randy - Are you asking for help to replace the adapter that you broke?  Like Bill, I haven't found the wiring in the EVTM for that device.  But, you aren't running a feedback system, right?  No computer?  If not, then you don't need that device.

I'd go to the hardware store and get the right pipe fittings to replace what you need of the broken piece and leave off that device.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by BeagleRock
One quick question, and I read Gary's response. Those 3 wires, do they go up to the engine harness or the left inner fender wiring, or do they appear to be completely separate from the rest? They may have been something that was added and is now gone. If everything seems to work properly without anything connected to them, I wouldn't worry, just tape them out of the way.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Only if it's necessary Gary. I have taken the computer out so if that connector goes to it as I suspect then I will just clip off the connection. I thought it might go to my gauge but if the bell shaped sending unit does that job then I won't worry about it.
 I got the broken piece out last night so I'll just go to plumbing store and get a plug and be done with it  
 Thanks for responding
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Hi Bill, yes they go into the wiring harness leading into the cab but I don't think they contribute to anything that would disturb any functions. The adapter that was on there looked like it was able to handle a wet gauge if so desired. But I don't need it.
 Thanks Bill.