classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Popping/backfiring/shifting issue

85lebaront2
Administrator
Do some reading on AMC autos pre-torqueflite, they used Borg-Warner model 35s on the sixes and (I was in error) model 12s (big cast iron box) on the V8s. The model 12 is very similar to a Ford FMX and was also used by IHC in the Scout, pickups and Travelalls. Some of them had a solenoid downshift system, but it was built into the modulator.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Popping/backfiring/shifting issue

FuzzFace2
85lebaront2 wrote
Do some reading on AMC autos pre-torqueflite, they used Borg-Warner model 35s on the sixes and (I was in error) model 12s (big cast iron box) on the V8s. The model 12 is very similar to a Ford FMX and was also used by IHC in the Scout, pickups and Travelalls. Some of them had a solenoid downshift system, but it was built into the modulator.
You are also right with the BW's and them v8 cast iron autos were heavy SOB's
My drag car came from the factory with one. Thing is you cant get any hop up parts for them anymore and I hear even rebuild parts a hard to find and why we go with the AMC bell TF's or the Jeep AMC bell TH400's for hi performance.
Thing is some of the TF's have issues with the sprag when used for drag racing even the HD ones.

Once over auto transmission deal you have to deal with bolt on hubs & axles.
The hubs have splines and when installed on the axle cut splines into the axle shaft.
If you get to much traction you strip the splines and no go!
You can now get 1 piece axles but when I started building my drag car you could not get them.
Yep fun time building a AMC drag car!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100