classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Poor man’s 1 ton

Blucollar4xford
Okay, where to start...

A college buddy of mine turned me onto his dad & grandpas old 6.9 trucks. One was an ‘84 & the other an ‘86, both F250 4x4 XL’s. Both 4 speeds. Thanks to my piddling around and being broke, I missed out on the ‘84. But I did manage to snatch up the ‘86 before it hit the scrap yard! This was “grandpa’s” old truck.
I guess the story goes that my buddys’s dad was just coming into his own on the farm and wanted to try something new, so he sprung for a diesel. His father-in-law loved the truck so much, he ordered his own in 1986. It sported burlwood trim and a tachometer, unlike its 4.10 geared counterpart. It spent much of its life pulling a gooseneck trailer and equipment.
When I found it, it was buried in a fence row with saplings growing up the sides and three rows of pallets stacked 7’ high against its nose. After clearing it out and airing the tires (and paying the man $670), it was pulled onto a trailer and dragged home!

When I got it home, it needed everything. I started with replacing the clutch hydraulics I blew while loading it. Next we attempted to start it by pulling the truck up the road to fire it to life. Took two miles and a lot of bucking, but she fired to life. So a starter, batteries, and a return line kit (among the obvious filters and fuel). Once it started, I tackled the gremlins I knew how to fix or couldn’t live with. This included the tendency to die after stabbing the throttle and “manual glow plugs”. Couldn’t help but rip the running boards, spot lights, and bug shield off while I was at it.

More to come after work 😜
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Poor man’s 1 ton

Blucollar4xford
After the truck started on its own, ran without randomly dying, and cleaning it up...I drove the hell out of it. Ended up making a 300 mile round trip (in an ice storm, no freaking less lol) to swap a Dana 60 front axle for a late model ZF-5 from a 460 truck.

Also during this time I hit up a local buddy with a dyno to see what I was throwing down. It was a hilarious 109hp and 219 ft/lbs at the rear wheels. Shortly after, I decided to try a set of 36’s out to see how they fit. My 3.55’s didn’t care for them. The fenders didn’t either, but not as bad as I’d expected.

Shortly after this, it was time to swap my trusty Dana 60 under the front. The result was satisfactory, to say the least.

After driving with the 36’s for a minute, I downsized to a set of 305/70-16’s I scooped up for $40. Only until very recently did I remove them. I also bought up a cheap 1985 F150 with 89k miles on it to eventually scavenge body parts.

Now, my trip to the dyno must’ve done my injection pump in, as I suspected a dead injector while driving one day. Then two. Then one. Then I lost power at anything above an idle. Finally, while pulling a nice little grade close to home, the engine ran off on me! Talk about a freaky experience. My poor old truck looked like it was leaving Cape Canaveral! So a $45 tow bill and two hours later, my truck was dry docked in need of a new pump. Fortunately, I had a spare. Unfortunately, I removed the whole timing cover. So rather than removing the front cover to retime the engine, I bought a new one to drop in.

Then came the snowball...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't wait for the other shoe to drop.  Or, what next in this "snowball".  

So, I assume the D60 is 3.54 gears?  And what about the ZF5 - did you keep it or was it swapped off?  I guess I missed something in that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Blucollar4xford
By the way, the 1985 F150 "donor" has the somewhat rare side molding! Good score.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well spotted.  I missed that.  Apparently it is an early '85.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Blucollar4xford
So here we are. 6.9 is out of time. Unknown mileage and minimal maintenance. What to do? Find a schoolbus engine that was shoehorned into an ‘88 K30 (you read that right!) for $500. In this time frame I also scored a $150 ATS 093 kit. So I decide to marry the two, but first, head studs. And since the engine is on my floor and getting studs, may as well do gaskets. Never mind that busted stud, it’s fixed now 😅

Presto! Now, to mate this mill to that ZF5 I mentioned earlier (the Dana 60 that was traded was a spare).

But hold up....I mentioned a snowball...so here goes; while pulling the engine, I opted to pull the nose. Whole...
I ripped a hole in the radiator getting in a hurry and being dumb, and noticed the cab is in rough shape, so I now needed a new nose and cab.

...Be gone with ye!

Some time later...

(Gotta love Ford’s ease of manufacturing standards!)

Even more time later...

And here’s where the truck and the original engine/trans would sit for several months.

So we’re caught up for several, several months (almost 2-1/2 years worth of sitting and picking away). I finally get antsy with warm weather coming and my poor old truck wasting away.
I decided to change tires (oh yea, swapped on some decent sheet metal) yet again so my good ones wouldn’t dry rot any more than they had already.

My poor old bed needs put to rest. Unfortunately the one from the F150 isn’t much better.

Also, did I mention that during my trucks hibernation, I picked up a little goodie for it? Ought to make that second picture a little more impressive some day...

Reply | Threaded
|

Blucollar4xford
Over the course of my IDI adventures, I’ve met a few good people, and procured a few parts. Engines, transmissions, axles, and odds & ends (and a brand spanking new brass radiator from a blown up ‘87!). One such fellow is Mr. Jonathan Donald. Guy is brilliant and a hell of a craftsman!

Can’t wait to “clone” this frankenbeast into an 80-81. Always have been a huge fan of rosewood trim!

Heres another pic of the old beast before I took the 305’s off, and basically how it sets now. I’m working on wiring and plumbing fuel up so I can hear this thing fire!

Reply | Threaded
|

Blucollar4xford
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
In regards to the ‘85. It is an early carbureted model. The trim is coming off and will be for sale if I ever get it rounded up and packaged! The cab is gorgeous for living in the rust belt. The dash is original!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  2 1/2 years in as many posts?!  Lotsa progress.  

And, I have to agree that Jonathan is one of the good guys.  

What transfer case do you have behind that ZF?  Looks big.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks for taking the time to write this up! I’m glad you decided to start a thread here 🙂

Cory and I have discussed our builds over messenger, and I really like what he is putting together. This will be epic 👍
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Blucollar4xford
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Honestly, I can’t remember exactly when I bought the truck, but sometime in 2014 near the same time I found out I was going to have my oldest son. I guess we’ll say early fall. I think the truck crapped out in February of ‘15. So my kids haven’t ever seen this thing move under it’s own power 😅

I actually had trouble remembering details and finding pictures. But as Jonathan said, we’ve talked a lot on my plans. It’ll be a while yet, but it’s a labor of love. I’m hoping to find a suitable flatbed to fab into something very special and unique. I may have to scratch build, but I’m gunning for something to the effect of “1981 F350 diesel prototype”. Something that really looks the part of a one-off that “escaped” amongst consumers. But it’s also all stuff I just prefer from bullies. Earlier grills, rosewood trim, IDI...I do plan on “disguising” the ZF with a custom shifter that mimics the T19 shift lever.

The transfer case is the stock ‘86 BW 1345. Might be the only stock piece of drivetrain left after I get the rear axle sorted out!