classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Polyurethane Body Bushings Popping/Creaking

kramttocs
Administrator
Ever since I got the truck back together any twisting of the frame causes a popping/creaking noise. Like turning on an incline. I don't ever recall it making this noise before the tear down.
It seems to be coming from from near the passenger door hinges. I did look around and upper fender bolts looked like they have been moving. I tightened them down but still happening.
I got to thinking tonight while driving it that maybe its the lack of movement from the new bushings since the old rubber ones had a lot of give compared to these.
It isn't a squeaking at all which is the biggest complaint I found online.
I will try to get a video the next time I drive it but was curious if anyone else had ran across this.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Polyurethane Body Bushings Popping/Creaking

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are a bunch of TSB's about popping/creaking noises in turns, over humps or off camber.
Mostly related to loose crossmember rivets.

IIRC the answer is a UHMW slip sheet and drilling/reaming to size for high tension bolts.

Gary has the notices posted somewhere.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not heard of the poly bushings making popping or creaking noises.  But the TSB Jim mentioned is here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/97-03-10-frame-creakingpopping.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It could be that the urethane bushings are not as compliant and the cab is now more rigid that the frame.

Regardless, you now have the procedure to correct it.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks guys. Didn't realize there was a TSB for it.
I removed the tcase skid plate as I forgot it was another thing I added to rule it out as well as removed and loctite'd the fender bolts before I went on a drive.
Still made the noise although maybe not as much. I'll keep an 'ear' on it and follow some of the ideas on the TSB.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio