Politics-California Smog Exemption AB 210

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Politics-California Smog Exemption AB 210

Dyn Blin
Good afternoon all.  Gary generously replied in the affirmative after I fielded the possibility of raising this in our forums.  I want to be respectful of the platform and not distract from the overall utility of the resources this treasure trove of a site provides.  In that spirit, I'll keep this to a short summary, and if anyone this bill potentially benefits would like to engage me outside the forum, don't hesitate to reach me through "send an email" function on  my profile.  I'm happy to answer questions in the thread, too.

Cliff's notes:  AB 210 would exempt pre-1983 model-year gas-powered vehicles from the smog testing regime in California  municipalities that require it.   Currently, model-years prior to 1976 are exempt.   We used to have a rolling 30 year exemption, but that was eliminated in the late 90's.  Although the premise of testing is sound, in execution it leads to a heavy burden with the cost of special testing stations for our age of vehicles, extreme limitations  on any replacement parts  for repair, and lost license tag revenue from drivers that remove themselves from the registration pool because of the complexities and burdens involved in the testing regime.  In reality, the percentage of state rolling stock that falls within the bill's proposals represents a far reduced impact in emissions contributions since the rolling 30 year exemption was eliminated.

Details on the bill can be found here:  http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCommentsClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB210

The bill currently resides in the state transportation committee with opposition from some well-funded groups.  Hope for passage relies on constituency voicing support.  If you're a California resident interested in supporting its passage, I can help direct the way to communicate advocacy to the appropriate  parties.

Although the bill covers only a portion of the model years of the Bullnose generation, many of us Bull Drivers maintain other vehicles the bill covers, as well as have peers that may not be aware of the proposal.

Thanks for the bandwidth.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Politics-California Smog Exemption AB 210

Ray Cecil
But then who would I sell my 1982 High Altitude california emissions system to?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Heh.  

My guess is there will still be a market.  Even if it passes, we're looking at some time until implementation, and there may be a visual inspection component if the bill is amended in our protracted process.

Yellow grommet on the ignition box with the altitude compensation in the carb?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
So i read the OPs post, and im not sure what the bill is. It sounds like its exluding certin year cars in california from emission testing. Correct me if i am wrong.
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Shorter Cliff Notes

AB 210 would exempt pre-1983 model-year gas-powered vehicles from the smog testing regime in California  municipalities that require it.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
Yellow grommet yes. Not sure about carb. I am 2nd owner. Original owner lived in northern cali and had the truck in nevada a few years. Spent the last 12 years in southern indiana. For a 300 inline six

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
'good to see that, thanks for sharing.   On mine, that 3rd connector goes to a sensor that in theory, adjusts timing based on barometric pressure.   On my 2150, it has a compensator to lean out the mixture:

Snip 2150

Barometer Sensor

ICU Bottom with Sensor

It all runs well enough for the camping excursions up to Tahoe.  Someday I'll remove the sensor while I'm up there to test the effect.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
Heh.  

My guess is there will still be a market.  Even if it passes, we're looking at some time until implementation, and there may be a visual inspection component if the bill is amended in our protracted process.

Do they do a visual inspection now on the others that are exempt?
What do they go by for this inspection is there a photo of each and every motor what & where the parts are / should be?

What do they do now to the 77 and newer cars & trucks, sniff & look see testing?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Good questions- it's convoluted.  Current requirements for gas-powered:

Anything '75 model year and older are completely exempt- no visual and no tailpipe test- you simply pay your fee when tags are due yearly.

'76 & up to 1999.  Every-other-year inspections including visual and tailpipe sniffer, with some models on a 2-speed dyno test.  (Dyno'd for vehicles identified by the Air Resources Board as potential "gross polluters")

2001 up to models less than 8 model years old:  OBDII reading test with non-dyno'd tailpipe -unless it's a flagged potential gross polluter model, then it's still 2-speed dyno'd with the tailpipe sniffer)

8 model years old up to current model year -1:  No test, but pay an annual smog abatement fee with registration tags

Smog tests are also required for any sale/transfer from '76 up to 4 model years old, paid by seller and presented with title transfer.

Diesels '97 and older are exempt
Motorcycles are exempt
Full-electrics are exempt (Hybrids need tested according to outline above)

Visuals can vary widely in actual execution, and it's more of a checklist for presence and operation- However, this the official list depending on presence as original equipment:

Underhood Emission Label
Smog Pump
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve/EGR
Positive Crankcase Ventilation/PCV
Charcoal Canister/EVAP System
Catalytic Converter
Oxygen Sensor
Supplemental Air Injection System
Carburetor Pre-Heat Tube
Air Filter & Housing (big one- non-oem is a no-no even for fuel injected  and MAS-equipped)
Throttle Position Sensor
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
Manifold Absolute Pressure
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Intake Air Temperature Sensor

They also look for cracked vacuum lines, plugged ports, connected hoses, etc.  If something catches their attention, they'll consult their documentation for details.  

Any non-OEM equipment has to have a manufacturer-sought exemption through the Air Resources Board, and few do- it's an expensive process and the pieces have a sticker on them with a code that is supposed to be present at inspection.  If they note it's not OEM, and there's no sticker, it's a fail and retest.

It's an onerous process, and pricey.  Most the older and potential gross polluter flags are assigned to a "STAR" station that has a special state certification, and tend to be fewer in number and more expensive.

It's quite a system- even just getting the bar moved  from '75 to '82 for exemptions simplify the considerations.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
California is good at one thing....over regulating everything.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Thanks DB that is a lot of hoops to jump thru to keep plates.

Ray Cecil wrote
California is good at one thing....over regulating everything.
Your not kidding.

I have a brother there and he likes doing diesel swaps for off road rigs or has older stuff so no testing but he does have to jump sometimes for that first plate after the swap. But it sounds like he has it down pretty good. He also told me if too many issues to get plates the car / truck is cut up, some parts sold, and scrapped.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100