Plenum

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plenum

smitty67
I don't know if I'm in the right place yet Gary so let me know where I'm supposed to be with my rambling. I think if I take off the points on the plenum that I am talking about it will be easier to get a socket in there to get the torx screw out. Thoughts??????
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plenum

85lebaront2
Administrator
I purchased a long T27 drive made for the 5.0L plenum screws, primarily the center right one. It is possible to get it with a 3/8" drive T27 and a 6" roughly extension. It needs to be the last one you remove though.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
Yessir thank you! but where did you get the long T27?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have thought about creating a better pathway many times. usually while kneeling on an air compressor trying to see what I'm doing getting to the torx bolt. the truth is I work on more engines once than I do repeats. opening up everyone to make it easier to reinstall is not real efficient. it does not help me get it off initially. if I need to make my own easier to remove on a normal basis then I think I would just try to eliminate the cause of that step.
actually, I have it a little easier than some as I can reach in areas many can't. 5.0 is harder than the 5.8 for sure. the best tip that I can give is to remove the throttle body. it is not needed but it does open the pathway to reach and see the bolt. one consideration I had was to install a stud in that position and then a nut could fasten it. and if a stud were used then, one similar to the exhaust studs of a 4.6 with the torx
head/lead would allow the nut to start or finish without being lost or dropped.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by smitty67
I believe Snap-on. Try this, it looks like the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Drive-Long-Socket-SHB14427/dp/B07R8J7XPP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1X6J1B8KE686L&keywords=long+t27+torx+bit&qid=1660074765&sprefix=Long+T27%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-5
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
Good deal thank you. I have it in my wife's shopping cart. She doesn't know it yet!